Chapter 2

I didn’t regret what I did. I think to myself. He deserved what I gave him, but he didn’t deserve how it ended. I continue my one-sided conversation as I relive the event for at least  the hundredth time while I wait for the officers to get in the car and drag me away.

I had given him what he gave me, a 3 ½ inch, stitch-worthy slash across my right cheek, but on his left cheek. He didn’t yield his assault after that, it may have even fueled him more. He kept attacking me with his blade, and I had no choice but to go on defense. For a few minutes I just defended, and I did get his knife away from him, but he had long since had the upper hand and got me on the ground with his hands around my throat. I panicked and slashed his stomach. For a second he didn’t react perhaps gaining some strength from the spurt of adrenaline, then he collapsed. His friends tried to help him, but I froze as soon as I stood. I wanted to help him, I tried to call 911, but I couldn’t. I was a person that wanted to help and be good, trapped in the body of someone who was afraid of being accused of being her sister.

Markus eventually called, but by then Adrien was gone. I couldn’t move until the police got there, and all I could do then was cry. I collapsed to the ground and sobbed. I had killed someone. I didn’t fight them, and by the time I was in the car I was silent, as I have remained since. I don’t move. I don’t make a sound. Somehow they haven’t found my knife yet, so simply folded and hidden in the arch of my right foot. They check my bag for weapons before giving it to me, but they didn’t find any.

The ride is short, but it feels like years. By the end of the ride, I’m shaking with fear. I can’t be here, not without Claire.

No, that would be worse.

As identical twins, the police will probably put me in juvie for her crimes. If they find the knife it will be even worse. Claire had stolen all four of the knives, food, and many other things from various shops and stores around town, and had been caught by the cops many times. The good thing was that the sheriff, a tall, fit, black woman with dreadlocks and pale blue eyes, had somehow decided to keep Claire out of jail, so she may do the same for me as well, but I doubt it.

We get to the station and I sit still in the back of the car and don’t move my gaze from the floor. The two officers in the front leave the car, but I don’t care where they went. I can hear several voices just outside the vehicle, but I don’t care who they are or what they want. I just hope I can get out of here alive.

Or not.

I don’t care anymore. I haven’t for some time now.

Eventually, the door opens and I hear someone tell me to get out, but I don’t really comprehend their request. The person says it again and I grab my bag, letting them lead me out of the vehicle into the station. I don’t see anything as we walk in, and I don’t do anything unless specifically told to. I sit in a chair and wait for the next thing that I need to do. The sheriff, Sabra Omiata, comes and says something to me before leading me to a phone and letting me call my brother.

“Jack?” I say softly, choking back another wave of tears, “I need your help.”

“Aydin? Are you okay? Why aren’t you at school?” He sounds more concerned than our parents would be. They probably would have just hung up and left me for dead.

“No. I’m at the police station. I think I killed Adrien.”

“Good. He had it coming.” He says, satisfied.

“No, Jack. I murdered him.” I cry, tears running down my cheeks, “He’s dead.”

For a second Jack doesn’t respond. Then, with his voice shaking slightly, but still strong enough to give me some comfort, “I’ll be right there with Matt. Just hold on, okay?”