Chapter 2

(VIDEO ON THE SIDE IS OF 'PLAYFUL KISS')! COVER ON THE SIDE IS FROM THE AMAZING JENNY20!

"How did you sleep?" Jesse asked when we sat down to eat lunch in the cafeteria.

I groaned and threw my head in my hands. "I didn't. My life is over, I just know it."

"Oh come on, it's not that bad. There are worse things that could've happened." She was right of course. Worse things could've happened. But I'd pretty much hit rock bottom after kissing my crush Bryce Hart, tripping twice, and some how giving him my love letter in the process.

"Yeah, I know. I just wanted him to see me as someone smart. Who wants to be looked at as the 'dumb girl' all the time?" I said, picking at the cold fries that were sitting on my tray.

"You're not dumb Caroline," Jesse stated. "You just never apply yourself. If you did, you'd make wonderful grades."

"Go try telling that to everyone that goes to school here. Even Maggie thinks I'm stupid."

"Who cares what Maggie thinks? Isn't she going to summer school too?"

I nodded. "Well, yeah..."

"What happened to the confidence yesterday? You were so excited about finally confessing your feelings, and now you're feeling bad for yourself because you got a kiss from Bryce Hart? Geez, I thought that's what you wanted."

I gave her a small smile. "It hurt."

"What?" Jesse asked.

"When I fell, our teeth smacked together and it felt like I'd lost about five of them." She threw her head back and laughed. It was times like these that I realized how lucky I was to have such a good friend.

"So," she said, changing the subject. "Besides attending classes for school, what else are you going to do this summer?"

I sighed. "My mom and I are staying with one of her old friends for a month. She said they live near the school so I won't have to ride my bike too far."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it should be fun I guess. She said they were a really nice family." Usually my mom and I would do something exciting, like going on a trip, but this year we were a little low on cash.

"Don't worry, I'll come visit you all the time!"

A laugh bubbled in my throat. "You say it like I'm moving away to another state."

"I know," she said, looking down at her hands. "It's just, next year we're going to be Seniors and then who knows what's going to happen after that."

A frown made it's way to my face. "We'll figure it out."

The next few minutes were spent in comfortable silence, as we thought about all the possibilities. Jesse could be whoever she wanted; she was smart. I on the other hand, flew through school, flunking the whole way. It'd be a miracle if I could even get into college.

"Caroline..."

"Hm?"

With her hands, Jesse motioned that something was behind me. "Uh, you might want to..."

I turned around, saw all I needed to see, and then abruptly slid off of my seat to the floor.

"What are you doing?" Jesse hissed.

"Shh! I don't want him to see me!" I crawled under the table, trying my very best to avoid Bryce Hart. He was casually walking around the cafeteria, hands in jean pockets with a blank expression on his face like always.