Chapter 8

"Caroline," a voice from behind me called. I turned around and saw Bryce walking towards me, the familiar blank look present on his face as usual.

Class had just ended, and I was so tired that I'd completely forgotten that he was supposed to follow me.

Last night our families had finally decided - the Harts were going to stay with us, at our house.

It was a strange thing to think about at first, Bryce and Nancy spending their nights at my home, but where else were they supposed to go? It wasn't like we hadn't invaded their space too. As for Bryce, I had no idea what he thought about the whole situation. I'm sure he'd rather be at his house, but unfortunately, it was now burnt to a crisp.

"Sorry, I forgot," I said, falling into step beside him. He shoved his hands in his pockets and stared straight ahead.

After that night in the hospital, when he'd held me as I cried, something changed between us. It was almost like an understanding settled. We weren't exactly friends, but he didn't hate me either. And I obviously didn't hate him. No matter how hard I tried to force the angry feeling, it would never stay. Something about him just kept drawing me in.

"Hey," Bryce mumbled from beside me. "Don't do me any favors, okay?"

"What?" I asked, looking up at him. He avoided my gaze and ran his fingers through his hair.

"I mean, you and your mom have already done enough for us. You saving Nancy-"

"I don't want to talk about that."

"-and then letting us stay with you. Don't do me any more favors."

I sighed. "Bryce, we stayed with you too."

"Just don't help me." The statement was firm, so instead of arguing, I just nodded.

"So," I started about a minute later, smirking and watching his face again. "You're nervous about moving in with me, aren't you?"

"What?" he abruptly asked. I laughed.

Even though I knew he wasn't actually nervous, it was still fun teasing him. It was also nice to joke around after everything that had happened.

"Aw, does the great Bryce Hart like me, the so called stupid girl?"

The look on his face had me practically bent over with laughter. He was watching me with wide eyes, glaring at me like I was crazy. I probably was.

I laughed again, jogging forward and then turning to face him as I walked backwards.

"It's okay to admit it, you know. You can always write me a love letter. I promise not to grade it," I joked.

He scoffed, looking away. "Only because you're too dumb to."

"Oh, so you will write me one? How sweet!" I cooed. However, just as I was about to turn my back to him, my feet got tangled and I somehow ended up with my backside on the ground. I clenched my eyes shut and cursed myself for being so clumsy. How embarrassing.

It took less than five seconds for Bryce to burst out laughing just as I had moments prior. I looked up at him, realizing that this was the first time I'd ever heard him truly laugh. More seconds passed by as I watched his crinkled up face, until finally, I stood up and wiped myself off.

"Thanks for all the help," I mumbled.

"What was that Stupid?" I turned and gave him a not-so-hard glare.

"You heard me Nerd."

"Is that supposed to be an insult?"

"I don't know, do you take it as one?"