Chapter Twenty-Five: Time Heist Practice

"I am so confused." Scott shakes his head, trying to take it all in. I sit next to him in the diner booth, trying not to laugh.

Of course I've met Professor Hulk before. I was one of the first to meet him when he first, uh, formed. It takes some getting used to because he is definitely not what I expected, but it's been three years now since he formed. I guess I'm just used to it.

"These are confusing times." Professor Hulk explains as simply as possible. He continues to eat his huge meal. "Is anyone gonna have some eggs? I can't eat all of this!"

"Um, Mister Hulk?" I clear my throat to compose myself and turn to the kids who said that. A group of children with a phone in hand tap Hulk on the shoulder. "Can we get a photo with you?"

"Of course, tiny person!" Hulk delicately takes the phone from the girl and hands it to Scott to take the picture. They all pose and say "green" as the flash goes off.

Scott hands back the device and before thinking, he says, "You want to grab one with me? I'm Ant-Man."

Cue the cringe. Scott, why did you have to say anything? The kids shake their heads and I hide my face to help escape the awkward scenario. Hulk is not helping because he keeps pushing the kids to take a picture with Scott. How would they know who he is? He's been missing for five years!

Finally, Scott shoves the phone in the kid's hand and says, "Just take the damn phone."

Suddenly, one of the younger kids in the back pushes his way to the front of the small group and taps my arm. "You're... you're (Y/n)! The Protector!"

I blush a bit at the recognition and nod. "I sure am, kiddo." I smile and raise my hand so it's eye level with the kid. I ignite my fingers with purple flames and shoot them around his head slowly. The kid is awed, and I can tell not only because of his facial expression but because I can read his mind. Suddenly, an adult yells something and all the kids wave goodbye.

After the kids leave, Captain Rogers sighs and turns to Hulk. "Bruce, can we get back to what we were talking about?"

"Right." Professor Hulk scratches his chin before making up his mind fairly quickly. "I'm sorry, but that's out of my area of expertise."

"Why? You managed to pull this off. I remember a time where that seemed pretty impossible." Natasha recalls the time where she first met the Hulk. He almost killed her on the helicarrier that day.

Hulk smiles slightly and nods. "I guess you're right. If it's possible, we have to try."

"And that's what I'm talking about. Let's go!" I start to get really excited. For the first time in years, we have something to do other than hold meetings and move supplies around a dying planet. We are finally back on track to being a team, the Avengers. I close my eyes and create a portal to the Avengers facility, and I take the team with me.

***

"Alright, Scott, are you ready for a test run?" Hulk asks from behind a computer he set up. We took about four hours to get everything ready and Scott got suited up.

Scott does some stretches in front of the Quantum Tunnel. "I'm ready."

"Okay then, Steve I need you or Nat to kill the power when I tell you. We don't want to lose Tiny here in the 1600's." Hulk tries to whisper, but does a terrible job at it. He sees no one is laughing, so he quickly says, "Just a bad joke."

Steve walks up to Hulk with a concerned face. "Are you serious?"

"I don't know do you think I know what I'm doing?! This is time travel, it's either that it's all a joke or none of it is!" Hulk turns to Scott and gives a thumbs up. "We're good! Scott, I'm going to send you back a week, let you wander around for a few hours, and bring you back in ten seconds."