• Chapter Four •

That same night, Clary was tossing and turning in her bed. Her breathing was becoming heavier by the second as she heard her mother's voice as well as an unknown male.

She woke up gasping only to find the male Wayland twin sitting next to her on the bed.

"It's okay.." He said soothingly. "I'm here, you're safe."

Clary let out a breath of relief. "Jace." She breathed.

"What?" Clary frowned only to realise that she was hallucinating and that it was in fact her best friend, Simon, who was sitting next to her.

"You alright?" He asked with concern. "You seem kind of freaked."

With her breathing under control, Clary finally answered. "Simon."

"That really must have been one hell of a nightmare." Simon noted as he began rubbing her back.

"You have no idea.." She said running a hand through her hair. "I was strapped to a piece of furniture and my Mom was there." She began explaining. "She kept telling this guy to protect me but it was like he reached his hand into my skull and ripped out my brain."

"A little Freddy Kruger." Simon pulled his face causing a sigh to slip from the red head.

"Tell me about it." She then looked at him. "Shouldn't you be in the infirmary?" She asked.

"I just needed to see you.." He said softly.

Clary took his hands into hers. "I'm so sorry that I got you into this messed up world." She apologised for the upteenth time.

What the two best friends didn't know, was that a certain Wayland twin was at the door listening to them. With gritted teeth, Jace left walking to his bedroom.

 With gritted teeth, Jace left walking to his bedroom

"Jace, I need to talk to you about something." Clary ran into Jace's room. "Its really import.." She trailed off seeing a shirtless Jace before her. "Oh.."

When she realised she was staring too long, she averted her gaze from his abs to his face. "Sorry, I should have knocked first.." She began rambling.

Jace smirked in amusement. "Let me just grab a shirt."

Clary gave a short breathless laugh. "Yeah, good idea.." She turned her back to him as Jace threw on grey t-shirt, causing him to smirk even more.

"So, you wanted to see me?" He asked.

"Yeah." The red head turned to face him. "I need you to tell me everything you know about Magnus Bane." She said.

Folding his arms across his chest, Jace replied. "Magnus Bane is the high warlock of Brooklyn. Why?" He arched an eyebrow.