Chapter Two: The Key

". . . and the guy paid for all those flowers in cash. No payment plan or anything."

"That ridiculous," I said out of the corner of my mouth finishing my last bite of roast beef.

"It is!" Everett pointed at me with a forkful of potatoes. "It's like all the odd ones came out once you left." The two of us prodded at our food, allowing a moment of silence to pass between us. "You seem troubled Ellowyn. I doubt it's every day you make dinner for men you just met."

"The doctor and I were working on getting your arm open, to look at what's jamming it. All we could find was the panel for the keyhole. There are initials around it, S.E.B, the doctor saw that and lost it, he's so excited. He's convinced is some master of mechanical creation invented it and he's been trying to find the man forever." I cleared our plates, "He said it means the master was on the island during the great collapse, he's going to hole up in the library and search public records until the thread runs out. Then there is the inevitable period of depression that follows, and I have to pick up the pieces."

"The doctor is a complicated man, then." He joined me at the sink and started drying what I had washed. "I know what it's like to lose a parent, at least yours comes back. Eventually."

I shrugged. "I lost my birth parents too. They were medics in the great collapse. The survived the war just to die at home."

"I'm sorry to hear that. Ellowyn. My parents worked in the factories too. The great collapse didn't get them. Mom and Dad owned a greenhouse, the only time people needed flowers was for funerals during the war so they, like everyone else went to work in the factories. Mom went back to the greenhouse with me after the great collapse and dad stayed in the factory. The air ended up destroying their lungs.

The people of the West End are fortunate to have you and the doctor." He added.

"They are. We're able to do most of it on donation. Princes and generals are willing to drop large sums of money to be both functional and fashionable." I rolled my eyes.

In the apartment beneath us, the door slammed and there was the sound of moving furniture was accompanied by shuffling feet.

"Loud neighbors, huh?"

"No, the doctor's apartment is downstairs. He usually sleeps in the shop. I don't think this change of habit is necessarily a good sign."

"Maybe it would be a good idea for you to visit him, Ellowyn. Either way, I should get going. The last thing I want is to be hit by a stray streetcar in the dark." He shook my hand and I walked him out.

"Wish me luck," I called after him, knocking on the doctor's door.

"Ellowyn? Is something the matter?" He slid out the door closing it with a click behind him. I knew it had to be a mess. He hadn't been there in months.

"I just heard you come in, did you get the chance to eat I saved you some leftovers."

"I ate on the way to the library. Everything is fine, better than fine even. I have so much to read through, and a great deal to show you tomorrow. Good night Ellowyn." He slid back behind the door.

"Goodnight Doctor."

#

Once in the shop, I found a stack of books nearly the height of the doctor of the counter, topped by an arrangement of flowers.

"Hello, Ellow!" He called stepping into the center of the shop.

"Good morning Doctor." I sat up on the counter swinging my legs. "I see you're wearing your adventuring arm." I smiled; glad to see him in such good spirits. "and leg of course."