Chapter Seven: The Kiss

I woke up early for my first shift at the airship store, the doctor had not returned from wherever it was that he had wandered the night before. It was probably better that way, I hadn't told him about my employment and I could only imagine how he'd respond to seeing me in slacks. The task was a little daunting, especially since Lady Tris was so intimidating. 

"Ellowyn, you and I are working the floor today." Liz greeted me at the door, flipping the door sign to open.

Joining us on the sale floor was a well-groomed man with a full mustache, like an orange push broom on his face.

"Ah, our new arrival," He shook my hand vigorously, "Dorian O'Hara, carpenter extraordinaire."

"I'm Ellowyn, it's nice to meet you," by the time I answered he had bounced to one of the displays, winding the miniature airship in his palm.

"Dorian is a bit distractible," Liz whispered to me, "I'll hand the floor and you can get the cash register. We'll switch after lunch."

As customers came in as a lazy drizzle, Liz floated from model to model directing them to the airship that suited their needs. Being that charismatic was a dream I could only reach for.

The cash register was fairly easy. Each model came with a punch card that spit out a date and a price. The information was then written out in carbon copy slip. Forms in triplicate was how Lady Tris liked it.

Payment plans made things a bit more complicated but the majority of her clientele could afford their airships in cash.

Lunch arrived quickly and the four of us huddled in the airship in the workshop.

"Any weekend plans, Lady Tris?" Liz asked, dabbing her lip with her napkin.

"If all goes well, I should be spending time with an old friend," she glanced at me "I don't work weekends and neither does my staff."

That was a good policy, although the thought of being in the Von Heikenroter house alone for any amount of time was draining.

"I, however, will be here this weekend. It's not work, it's a passion." Dorian beamed, brushing sandwich crumbs from his mustache.

"It is your time." Lady Tris raised her eyebrows in disapproval.

As our conversation dulled we returned to our posts. Liz on the register and me on the floor.

Our first after lunch visitor was an older gentleman looking for something fast. I showed him the Land and Sea but he seemed uninterested.

"Isn't there something more you have? Maybe something in the back?"

"I'm sorry sir, I'm not sure what you're asking for, this is the only model we have matching your needs," I responded.

There was something about his shifting glances that put me on edge, I glanced back at Liz to find the register unmanned.

"Tell me miss, what do you know about the Kraken?"

I opened my mouth to retort when Lady Tris came storming out from the workshop.

"Get, the Hell, out of my shop" she hissed standing nose to nose with the man, who did not flinch under her red hot face and flaming anger.

When he didn't budge she grabbed him by the collar threw him into the street herself. She slammed changed the door sign to closed. Letting out a growl

"Is there nothing men respect more than violence?" Her voice full of bitter poison, "Liz we're closed for the day."

"Who was that man?" I asked Liz as quietly as I could. My heart beating its way from my chest into my neck.