Chapter 5

Art by sidespart on Tumblr

Third person POV

A cold silence reigned between the sides. Virgil's head was still slightly turned towards the deceiving trait, staring at him without showing any emotions. Janus was looking at him, a sad smile across his face. He wasn't entirely sure how to start the conversation. He took a deep breath.

- The voices... The voices in your head, they tell you to think for yourself for once. And, you know, they aren't completely wrong.

He paused a second, examining Virgil's body language to make sure he was listening to him.

- However, they aren't turning your attention to the right solution.

Deep down, he doubted his attempt would work, but he didn't show any of it. He needed to look confident if he wanted to prevent Virgil from making a mistake. He raised his arm toward the anxious trait, his hands opened toward the sky, inviting him to take it.

- Come back home... Your real home. We understand and we will help you go through this.

Silence. Virgil's head was still slightly turned toward Janus, but his eyes were moving back and forth between Janus and the pit in front of him. His mind seemed to be running 100 mph.

The three other sides were looking at the scene, confused by Janus's words. Every time they encountered him before, he tried to manipulate them, how could they trust him? But what was worrying Patton more and more each second is that Virgil hadn't pushed Janus away yet. Was he truly considering leaving them and going with him?! It was too much for Patton, he needed to do something. Ignoring Logan's advice, he took a few steps toward Virgil.

He was then stopped by a mace in front of him. Patton jumped three steps back as he wasn't expecting this to happen. Fortunately for him, Roman was behind to catch him so he wouldn't fall back. He then saw who was blocking his way. A laughing duke was looking at him. He put his mace on his shoulder, then winked at Patton and put a finger in front of his mouth, indicating to the moral trait to remain silent. At his twin sight, Roman was furious. Of course, if Janus was there, his stupid lackey surely was near.

Meanwhile, Janus was still offering his hand to Virgil.

- You helped enough, Janus whispered softly, they don't see all the sacrifices you do each day for him.

Fear was then replaced by anger. Patton was mad. Not listening to Remus, he screamed at Virgil.

- Don't listen to that STUPID SNAKE! Come with US! THOMAS NEEDS YOU.

Remus rolled his eyes, visibly annoyed. Virgil jumped, turning his head toward the four traits. This time, he heard Patton. He only now realized that they were all here. Fear was now in his eyes. He was not only on the edge of the pit, but on the edge of an attack.

While he was distracted, Janus took the opportunity to get closer, quietly but quickly. He was now next to Virgil, and he whispered to his ear.

- Virgil, please, for once, think about your well-being and come with us.

Virgil turned his attention toward Janus once more. He stared into the deceiving trait's eyes for a few second. Janus was still offering his hand to him.

He finally decided to take it.

Janus smiled gently and pulled Virgil into his arms. Virgil was first surprised, but he calmed down quickly, letting himself cry in Janus's chest. Janus tightened his embrace around the anxious trait, softly stroking his hair and whispering to him that he was safe now.

Spectators despite themselves, the three other traits didn't know how to react. Logan couldn't comprehend why Virgil would trust a trait known for deceiving others. Roman couldn't think properly, anger taking over his mind as he stares at his twin brother in front of him. Patton was devastated. The boy whom he considered a son was now finding comfort in someone else's arms. And the worst of them all, it was this stupid two-faced snake.

Still comforting the anxious trait, Janus gave a bitter look in the direction of the three sides. He then gave Remus a look, signifying him he was going home. Remus gave him a thumb up and the two disappeared.

As Remus was about to follow them, Roman charged him, his sword in hand. The duke was quick enough to block the prince's attack. As their weapons cross, both brothers pushed toward them, trying to make the other one falls. Remus had an amused smirk on his face as he saw Roman's face, deformed by anger. At the same time, they both took a jump back, their weapons still in front of them. Behind Roman, Logan was hugging Patton, trying to comfort the crying trait as he could. He looked at Remus and spoke up.

- This was a mistake. Taking Virgil wasn't a good idea. His state risks to get worse if he stays with you.

Remus suddenly started to laugh madly. It took Roman and the two others by surprise. He then raised his mace toward them.

- The only mistake was to let Virgil live with you.

He raised his arms toward the sky.

- You never truly accepted him !! Deep down, you never stopped seeing him as a ''DARK SIDE'', like you guys like to call us. It didn't matter what he did, you were ALWAYS afraid he would do something bad, like if he was inherently a bad person deep down or something. You think it is right to treat someone like that?!

As the three sides looked at him, confused, Remus spat on the ground and then disappeared, returning to his home with the two other traits.

948 words