Chapter 13

"Well, you've got a whole bunch of options, including, but not limited to: the couch, and the giant-ass bed in my room that whoever made this condo thought every single room needed."

Levi's comment made me chuckle. Currently, I was still working out those sleeping arrangements. It was annoying.

"I can take the couch, it's pretty comfortable."

Levi simply nodded.

"At the very least, even though I can't get into your room, I could give you something to wear? It would allow you to get out of that wet swimsuit."

Was it the light in here or were his cheeks turning pink again? I must need to get my eyes checked.

I nodded.

He turned on his heel, walked into his room, and rummaged around his drawers for a minute.

Levi must not have been wasting any time, as he returned shortly after.

One hand running at the back of his neck, he held out some clothes to me.

"Here. I think these'll fit you. If not let me know, I'll get you other ones."

I blinked, taken aback by his simple offer of decency.

"So I'll leave you to it, then. Goodnight, Aria."

"Goodnight."

He smiled, turned, and walked back into his bedroom, shutting the door behind him.

I ventured down the hallway, into the bathroom. There, I set to work at changing. While I loved my bathing suit, it became clingy after it got wet.

I unknotted the ties, and barely struggled it off. I'd put those in the dryer in a minute.

I had basketball shorts and a soft v-neck in my possession. The shorts were almost identical to the last pair I borrowed. Which, come to think of it, I'm not sure if I ever returned them. Whoops. That's a problem for later.

The v-neck was as charcoal gray as the ashes of the fireplace that had apparently been extinguished before we had arrived. Shame, because I was still cold from being soaked to the bone.

Throwing the clothes on, I dropped the bathing suit in the dryer in the hall closet on the way by, turning it on with a dryer sheet inside.

I curled back onto the couch, seeing a blanket that must have been left there for me. Smiling, I threw it over me, and dozed contently.

By the time I awoke again, it was still pitch black outside. I couldn't pinpoint what woke me.

Oh. Screaming.

Hurriedly, gently, I pushed my way into Levi's room, and closed the door behind me.

There was Levi, thrashing in the center of the bed, hair and clothes wet with sweat.

As I toed my way over to the bed, the whimpering got louder. It broke my heart to hear him like this.

Sitting gingerly on the edge, I laid one hand on Levi's shoulder. The whining continued.

"Levi."

Nothing.

"Hey, you can wake up now."

A murmur.

I shook his shoulder, remembering Josh do it.

The gentle motion seemed to shock him out of his sleep, and his eyes were wide and terrified until they settled on me.

He sighed, sitting up, burying his face into his hands.

"I'm so sorry I keep waking you."

My soul seemed to shatter then.