Bye Bye Stars

Chapter Triggers-Mention of suicide, paranoid behavior. <These events and behaviors have been dramaticized>

Keith's P.O.V.

It's been 10 years since she said good bye.
I remember the weeks leading up to that.
She would point to a freckle on my snowy cheek and say "goodbye freckle" she'd point to another "goodbye freckle, goodbye freckle, goodbye freckle" I giggled as she poked each one. The meaning of goodbye unknown to me.

Flashback

"Keith come here" she called as she stared at the night sky. She caught me in her arms. It was October. I was 4 years old, holding a worm in my grubby little fist.
"Say goodbye to the stars with me Keith. They are saying goodbye to us too" she called with sadness in her eyes.
"Why do I have to say goodbye to the stars mommy? Wont they be around?" I questioned my laugh dwindling down to a frown.
"Oh no sweetheart, you are so naive, these stars will die soon, along with the world, along with us" her grip tightened on me. Harder and harder.
"Ouch mommy you're hurting me" I squealed.
"No I'm not Keith, the world is, the world is hurting you, the world is hurting me keith" she stopped, a wild smile on her face.
"But I am stronger than the stars my darling. I am stronger than the end" she raised her voice and pushed me off her lap as she stood up.
"But you, Keith you are weak. You are like the rest of these imbeciles. The stars will kill you and all the others. You are no better than the rest of them..."

I watched as mommy and daddy fought over a letter that had arrived in the mail. It was from a dr. sakame. I had brought the mail in earlier that day before my mother called me outside to say goodbye to the stars.

"You're crazy!" Dads words echoed through my brain as I stood around the corner listening to them yell. Louder, louder, louder.

Mommy stormed to her and daddys room, alone.

Daddy walked after her cutting by me, not noticing my frail body trembling there.

"Daddy?" I called, he turned furious.
"WHAT, WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY NEED RIGHT NOW KEITH!"

I flinched as I asked my question, looking down at my bare muddy feet.
"Why are the stars dying?" Daddy looked at me bewildered. He shook his head and regained his angered look.
"Not right now keith"

That was one of the last times he called me by my name.