Tƿelfta

The bell hanging from above the door sounded, alerting Benjamin that someone had arrived. Lifting his eyes from his desk, they immediately fell upon the woman standing in front of the opened door. She was wearing the same coat as yesterday and from what he could see of her legs, the same grey dress. However, there was a new addition to her apparel. A pair of threadbare gloves with small holes in them covered her calloused hands.

"It's chilly out there." Emilia crossed her arms over her chest, hugging herself tightly. "But it feels so much warmer in here."

"Please, come sit by the fire." He gestured towards the hearth.

"Thanks." She stretched her hands out over the smoldering logs.

"Have you been to a hospital?" Benjamin asked, remaining seated at his desk.

"Oh no, those places are dirtier than the streets of the Bronx," she retorted. "I'd go in with one disease and come out with ten more."

Benjamin chuckled, not expecting the girl to be so bold. She certainly never had this spirit before. "That is true. You were better off coming here."

"So," he continued, not wanting to let a lengthy silence fall over them like before. "How long have you had this cough?"

Emilia turned back around, bringing her finger to her chin as she wondered. "About a few days. Figured it was just a cold."

The man nodded, finally rising to his feet. "I will have to listen to your lungs to be sure, but I doubt it is just a cold."

She shrugged. "You're the doctor."

As Benjamin pulled out his stethoscope from the drawer, he couldn't help but contemplate this new illness. Twice, Emilia had the plague. But by now, the Black Plague had only surfaced in the far East, ravaging the land and population. Had it now spread to this new continent? Would this be the place it struck next?

"Unbutton your coat," he ordered, holding out the end of the stethoscope towards her.

"You could at least say please." She started to undo the buttons, her fingers moving quickly around each one.

He narrowed his eyes in response, frowning at her attempts to be playful at his expense. "You will have to remove your dress too."

Emilia threw down her coat, kicking it to the side. "Are you always so stern with your patients? Now, I see why this place is so empty."

"Just remove it," he grumbled. She was the one who always serious, always genteel. But now, she was being a tease.

"Do I have to take it all the way off?" She challenged, folding her arms back over her chest.

"The top part will be enough."

She turned her back, holding her hair up as she dipped her head. "Well? What are you waiting for?"

Benjamin blinked several times, trying to understand what she meant. "You- You want me to unbutton you?"

She gave a hearty laugh. "Yes! Don't tell me you're shy. You can handle blood and guts, but unbuttoning my dress makes you squeamish?"

He set his face with a stern sneer and marched over to this odd version of Emilia. "Of course not. It's just I have never done this before."

Emilia giggled. "Oh boy. You must be kidding. A handsome fella like you hasn't–"

She suddenly gasped as he tugged open the buttons, pushing down the fabric to expose her back. As he pressed the diaphragm onto her skin, Benjamin heard her take in a sharp breath.