Epilogue

Jack Lodge leaned back in his chair, taking a long drag from his cigarette. "Well, now that's an interesting tale. Not sure how it'll hold up in court though."

The detective folded his arms across his chest, still holding the cigarette between his fingers. "I'm guessing you'll plead insanity?"

Benjamin scowled from across the bed he was handcuffed to, remaining silent at the man's attempts to provoke him.

"What's wrong, Ben?" The detective smirked. "You practically talked my ear off an hour ago. You're now shy all of a sudden?"

He just kept his green eyes narrowed at the man, continuing to give him the silent treatment.

"I will give you credit, though. You have quite the creative—albeit sick—mind to come up with a story like that. Can't say I've ever heard something like that before." Jack placed the cigarette back in his mouth, letting it hang from the side. "You had me pretty entertained."

The detective suddenly leaned forward in his chair. "But I have to ask you something, Benjamin. Why did you tell me?"

His voice came out like gravel when Benjamin finally answered, rough and raspy. "Someone needed to know."

The detective narrowed his eyes as he leaned in even closer. "Did you take me for a fool?"

Benjamin swallowed the lump in his throat but did not answer. He would not waste his breath further on this man.

The chair gave a sharp creak as Jack crossed one leg over the other. "While you were telling me this fairytale, my partner was out investigating the claims you made. You want to know what she told me? There's no record of you. In the 15th century. In the 17th century. Or in the 19th century."

"And there is no record of an Emilia or Nathaniel in those times either. Sure, there was a Thomas Sinclair who owned a steel mill, but it burned down because of a careless accident. Not because of arson." The detective's poker face had turned into a glare, and his usual cool tone had grown impatient.

"You're not this larger-than-life time traveler. You're not even a good liar. You're just a depraved piece of shit who wanted to kill some kids, including your best friend." Jack rose from his seat, folding up his notepad.

"But if there's any truth to your story." The detective glanced down at the bandages wrapped around Benjamin's stomach. "Then I'm glad Emilia finally kicked your ass. Seems like this version of you isn't as smart as before. You should have known her father owns a boxing gym. And that she picked up a few techniques along the way."

Benjamin's head snapped to the side, his eyes flashing open at what he just heard.

Jack chuckled at the sight. "Now that's what I call poetic justice."

The door slammed behind the man after he left the room. Benjamin was all alone now with nothing but the beeps of the heart monitor to keep him company.

His hand drifted to where the itchy bandages were, tracing the spot where the wound was. A voice from within urged him to just tear the bandages off and let himself bleed out. He could start all over again in the future.

Because it didn't matter what that smug detective said. Benjamin knew the truth.

Just as he knew what he would do the next time he saw that ungrateful bitch Emilia.

After everything he had done to try and save her, after the endless lifetimes and trauma of watching her die, this was how she had repaid him. With a stab wound through the gut.

A thin smile started to spread across his face as he imagined the many ways he would torture her before finally killing her. Maybe then she would realize how much she needed him. How much he had done for her. Just the image of her body dissected and labeled was enough for him to forget his initial wave of anger.

Slowly drawing his hand away from his stomach, Benjamin decided there was no need to rush this.

He had all the time in the world.