XXIII

July 21st 

Harper lent against the counter her head being held by her right hand. Looking out of the front windows of the diners. People chatting amongst themselves on their tables in their own little bubbles. Harper couldn't stop thinking about the other night , how perfect it was granted the two of them have had their ups and downs but it felt normal. No divide , just Harper and Finnegan having fun. 

"Harp ... Harp!" Quinn shouts slamming a tray down in front of her making her jump. 

"The daydream shit may fly at home but at work you gotta get your head in the game. We have hungry customers waiting for their dinners." Quinn snaps and Harper burst out laughing as Quinn puts her hands on her hips being all angry mother on her. 

"Alright ... Alright I am moving ." Harper says holding her hands up in defeat as she fishes out her notepad from her dress pocket pulling the pen out from her ponytail as Quinn looked at her like she was a magician. 

"You better not be thinking about that angel dude ... oh wait by the look on your face you were thinking naughty thoughts about him. You dirty , dirty girl. You know he won't ever like you back. He will kill you with his bare hands " Quinn remarks as a pink hue tickles her cheeks. 

"Can't you let a girl dream. Besides he blows so hot and cold I don't know what to think one minute he is pissed at me for taking his pain away the next we go to white night swimming pool and semi skinny dip. So ..  I best be off Mr Kingly is not gonna be happy if I don't take his order in the next thirty seconds." Harper states before running off to the other side of the diner to Mr Kingly's booth he was sat in reading a newspaper watching the world go by. Leaving. dumbfound Quinn picking her mouth off the floor before heading to the opposite side of the diner to Harper. 

Harper could see Quinn was reeling from the revelations she dumped on her , not being able to act on it. Praying she could just so happen to pass Harper to give her what she thought about the whole situation it was ridiculous. Harper walked over to the dessert cabinet searching for a slice of blueberry cheesecake that mr Kingly wanted. Always asking for the biggest piece as it was his favourite and if Harper gave it to him he gave her a generous tip which she was always thankful for. 

"There it is ... who filled the cabinet and put it with the cherry cheesecakes. For god sake." Harper muttered to herself moving a few of the plates out of the way to get to it As she wasn't about to get in trouble for messing up half the slices of cheesecake. 

She cut into the cheesecake smiling to herself as she watched out the window of the diner. It was like a free television subscription just sometimes it was drama filled and others it just felt like a boring nature documentary. 

"Lilibeth... that's your name right." An older gentleman asked and she nodded placing her fork to the right hand side of the plate looking up at the older gentleman. 

He wore a dark black suit  and matching waistcoat , his hair slicked back with god knows how much hair gel. It wasn't moving any where for any one she thought. Sliding into the booth seat across from her she frowned. 

"Can I help you?" Lilibeth asked glancing round the diner as to why this man was coming to talk to her. 

"You know a man called Finnegan?" He questioned and Lilibeth frowned picking up her fork to play with the tip of the cheesecake.

"Who is asking?" Lilibeth mumbled stabbing the fork into the cheesecake biscuit base with a light cracking sound. 

"His father. If you see him remind him his hands may be smooth for now but soon they will be sharp and see red and it won't be pretty. But sort of nice to meet you Lilibeth the pale thing suits you. Enjoy your cake while you can. Toodles." Darren says sliding out of the booth leaving Lilibeth confused about what just went on. 

The metal plate clattered to the floor as the cheesecake splattered all over Harper's feet. Gasping in shock as everyone stared at her due to the large noise she had just made. 

"Sorry." Harper mutters bending down to pick up the plate and of course just her luck that not a single piece of the cheesecake was salvageable. 

Quinn handed her the roll of kitchen roll to help her clean it up which she was very thankful for. Not really wanting to do the walk of shame to the kitchen to hear Cas shout at her about how careless she was. It was a mistake but he would call it wasteful and demand her to pay for it as that was meant for a customer. 

"Harp. Maybe you should stick to just taking orders. You may be less of a liabitly and hopefully that vein in the left side of Cas' neck won't burst any time soon." Quinn suggests and Harper nods picking up a large lump of the blueberry cream cheese topping off her cream trainers. Almost gagging at the texture. 

Getting up off the floor she could see Mr Kingly was less than impressed that she dropped his cheesecake all over her feet and it had not made it to his table. Quinn saving the day grabbed another before the man exploded much like the can of cream did the other week. They didn't need another clean up today she thought as Harper took refuge behind the diner bar as she waited for people to pay. It was the easiest of jobs , sure she could drop the coins all over the floor but at least it wouldn't make a complete mess like dropping a breakfast plate or something. Maybe Harper needed to stay home it was safe. No wonder he mother warned her about taking someone's pain. It manifested itself everywhere anything triggering it at any point. Sure she was ready to take his pain when she did he needed it. But was she strong enough to deal with it that was a different question all together.