Chapter 24- Shattered

I went to Verdant that night to get a drink. I sat at the bar with my arm in my sling and thinking. Thinking about Moira, Malcolm, Tempest, and the League. My uncle received word of the plans for the Glades and almost tried to send more assassins. It took me several hours to convince him not to and that I had it handled. That I had help here.

He had even offered to send Sara which I had refused almost immediately. "They don't need that trauma yet. Her family and friends wouldn't take her appearance very lightly and I need to maintain my cover. I can't let anyone else know what I am." I had told him.

He merely agreed, told me to be careful, then said he wanted Malcolm's head delivered to him. Soon.

"Mia!" A voice suddenly shouted and it pulled me from my deep thoughts. I looked up to see Thea pulling a young man by the hand toward me.

"Hey, Thea." I say with a soft smile. "Who's this?"

"Oh, this is my boyfriend, Roy. I wanted you to meet him." She says with a smile.

"Oh. Hi. I'm Mia. Thea and I have known each other for years."

"It's nice to meet you." He says with a nod and a bit of a tense smile.

"How are you feeling? Olly told me you got shot at Malcolm Merlyn's benefit." She said with eyebrows furrowed.

"Oh, I've felt better. It'll leave a cool scar after at least. It's sore but not as painful as it was." I say with a small smile.

She began to tell me about how she and Roy meet- how he stole her purse but she forgave him and then he saved her life from some thugs in the Glades. All the while, he looked a bit awkward, but was smiling at her.

Then, something caught my eye.

Tommy was making rounds and serving people, being the club's manager, when he was stopped suddenly by a familiar woman with long dark hair.

I watched them closely, Thea hardly noticing I was distracted, and felt a sense of dread set in as he was pushed towards the back. Where the door to the hideout was.

I rested my hand on Thea's shoulder and said, "It was so good to see you, Thea, and to meet your boyfriend. He seems like a good guy. I have to go look into something for your brother. I'll be right back."

She smiled and nodded and I got up and managed to slip through the door and make it down the stairs into the room just before the door opened again upstairs and footsteps echoed down the stairs.

I ducked behind a table with a knife clutched in my right fist.

I watched as she pushed Tommy into a table and he cursed. I clenched my fist around the blade in my hand, ready for it to meet its target.

Then, Oliver entered the room. "Helena! You don't want to do this."

He was trying to calm her down. He had tried to show her she could get justice without killing and he ended up revealing to her almost everything. Well, everything except me. She was dangerous and he was blinded to it.

"Oh, Oliver, my father has to pay for what he did so long ago." Helena hissed. She had Tommy pinned to the table. He whimpered as she twisted his wrist, then cried out in pain when she began to wrench it even more.

That was enough.

I stood from my hiding spot and threw the knife before Oliver could try and stop her with words again.

The knife embedded itself between her shoulder blades and she let out a strangled cry.

She released Tommy and turned towards me, and I plunged a second knife into her chest.

She slumped to the ground, dead, and I glared at her body, then up at Oliver.

Oliver was stone-stiff and Tommy was looking at me in utter shock.

"Mia. I had her. I was-"

"Was going to what, Oliver?" I interrupted him with a snap. "You should have killed her last time!"

"You had no right to. There was a chance she could be saved! That she could come out of her eagerness for revenge." He returned, walking around a table to stand in front of me.

I looked up at him and said calmly, "I know a lost cause when I see one, Oliver. And she was one. I know when to spare the death sentence and when not to. She had Tommy pinned to a table and would have killed him and you if you got in her way. And Oliver I wasn't going to let that happen. I couldn't let that happen."

He clenched his jaw and just looked down at Helena's body with my knives in her back and chest, then back to me.

"Just get rid of her body, please. And clean up. I need to go for a walk." He said tensely and barely looked at Tommy as he grabbed his jacket and left.

I sighed heavily and knelt down to check her pulse to make sure, and when I was satisfied, took the knives back and tossed them onto a table.

"You killed her. In cold blood." Tommy said softly, holding his wrist.

I looked up at him. "She was going to kill you."

"So you did it first?"

"Tommy, don't judge me. The island changed me and you'll just have to deal with it." I muttered as I searched her pockets.

He was quiet for a moment, then said, "Mia. Look at me."

I looked up at him with a heavy sigh and he said softly, "I don't judge you. I just haven't accepted the change yet. It was five years of believing you and Oliver we're dead, and when you finally came back against all odds, it was like you really did die on that island. You aren't the same Mia, but you're still my friend. My selfless friend." He clenched his jaw. "And I shot you, didn't I? That was you up there, wasn't it?"

I clenched my jaw and slowly stood and nodded my head. "Yes. It was me." My hand subconsciously lifted to the bandages that secured my left shoulder, then dropped to my side and clenched into a fist.

"And you were protecting my father. Told Oliver to help him instead of you." He said, voice cracking.

I felt my eyes water a bit and I just stiffly nodded. He went to lift a hand to my face but I moved away. "Tommy you didn't accept me the moment you found out what I had gone through. You didn't accept what those horrors turned me into. You even said I was dead. I'm glad you're safe, but don't ever think we are together. You've hurt me, and I can't be with someone who just hurts people. Now sit down. You need that wrapped or it'll get worse."

He did so and the air was tense around us. I grabbed the first aid kit and put it down and as I wrapped his wrist, I told him about Tempest and his father. I then told him about how he was going to go through with it anyways despite the League's code. I then told him about my new orders.

I finished wrapping his wrist and I looked at him. His face was pale. "The Glades and millions of people are going to die soon if I don't do something about it."

"If you kill him, I won't be able to talk to you anymore." He said honestly and plainly. "I'll look at you and only see a murderer."

The pain at his words made me feel sick, a pit forming in my stomach. I tightened his bandage tightly and he flinched. "If you hate me for saving the Glades from a psychopath, so be it. Now get out."

He stood and didn't even look at me as he climbed the stairs, the door slamming shut behind him.

I turned to Helena's body on the ground and I dragged it away and closed her into a body bag. I cleaned the blood from the floor and felt numb as I lugged the body into the trunk of my car and drove out of the city. I buried her in the woods leaving no fingerprints to king me to the murder, then left her there.

I drove back to the hideout and I pulled on my mask.

I was certain of one thing and one thing only.

Whoever abducted my father was going to die slowly and painfully.

And I didn't care anymore.