Invitation

Dimitri

I swear Liliana is trying to piss me off every chance she gets. I didn't hire her to give me flack. I hired her to do a job. I would fire Liliana, but she's the first competent secretary I had. The rest had some weird fetish about office romances. It's a place of business, not a brothel. If they want office romance, then read a book.

I decided to pick up a few items from the grocery store, running into Liliana. Why me? Then I endured her remarks. Again, why me? All I wanted is to get some food and go home. Luckily, our conversation ended quickly.

After I checked out, I came home. I put my groceries away and opened a TV dinner, putting it into the microwave. I sorted through the mail, tossing anything that's junk until I came across an envelope. What's this?

I tore it open and pulled out a wedding invitation. I glanced at it, my eyes widened.

We cordially invite you to the marriage of
Cherisse Langley and Harry Worthington II

What the hell? I read the date, and it was a whole week of celebration. My ex sent me a wedding invitation? The vein in my head is going to explode.

Not only were Cherisse and I together for five years, but I proposed marriage to her. She turned me down, stating she didn't believe in marriage and fell out of love with me. How the hell do you fall out love with someone? I refused to date another woman or be with one for that matter. I focused on my work instead.

My phone rang, and I answered it.

Dimitri, it's a mother.

"Hello, mother," I greeted Mom, rolling my eyes.

Mom laughed. I always wanted to say that. Did I sound posh?

"Yes, you did," I replied.

See, I told you I could sound posh! Mom yelled, time Dad. You need more practice, dear! Dad yelled back.

My parents are a bunch of nuts.

Did you get your invitation?

"Yep, and I'm not going," I informed Mom.

Dimitri, it's not an option. Your dad and Cherisse's dad do business together. It's bad business if you don't show.

"Mom, Cherisse dumped me, and you want me to attend her wedding? Are you insane, woman?" I asked incredulously.

No, I'm not insane. Your father had me checked. Anyway, you're coming and bring a girl unless you're gay, and we completely support that.

"I'm not gay!" I exclaimed.

Do you have a girlfriend?

Think fast, Dimitri, because you don't need rumors started about you.

"Yes, I do," I answered, regretting that answer.

I heard a squeal on the other end.

Then I did something worse, I added to it. "The woman is my fiancé," I said.

I heard silence, then a thump. What the hell?

Son, you're mother passed out. She'll call you back. Dad said, hanging up. Well, shit.

I heard the microwave beep, signaling my dinner is done the heating. I removed it and put it in the counter, then sat down to eat. I had to think of someone to pretend to be my fiancé for a week. I didn't know if anyone could pretend to be madly in love with me.

As I ate, I thought of different names. My front door opened and closed.

"Don't you knock?" I asked Chandler.

"I would, but you leave your door unlocked," Chandler answered. "Nice dinner," he commented, looking at my TV dinner.

"It works," I shrugged.

Chandler picked up the invitation. "Isn't this your ex?"

"Unfortunately," I replied in between bites.

"You're not going, are you?" He asked.

"Unfortunately," I groaned.

"Why?" Chandler questioned.

"Because our fathers do business together. So, I'm stuck attending, and I have to bring my fiancé," I told Chandler.

He did a double-take.

"But you're not dating anyone," he said incredulously.

"Yeah, don't remind me. I have to find a woman, pay her to pretend to be my fiancé for a week, then part ways. Oh, and I have to pretend to be madly in love," I remarked.

Chandler looked at me like I was insane.

"Don't give me that look," I said.

"Dimitri, who is crazy enough to agree to this? You have to find a woman certifiably insane to agree and offer an obscene amount of money," Chandler informed me.

I sat there, finishing my dinner, thinking about it. I needed someone that can pretend, yet be realistic. People had to believe our lie, but not find it otherwise. One person came to mind.

"Why do you look like you're constipated?" Chandler asked.

I looked at him, annoyed.

"I know who I can ask," I said.

"Who?" Chandler looked at me curiously.

"Liliana Red," I answered.

"Isn't that your secretary who refers to you like Satan?" Chandler questioned. I looked at him unamused. Chandler let out a low whistle. "Good luck," Chandler wished me as he left.

Chandler Bear is my best friend and neighbor. We met when I arrived at the Oakridge and started my company. The guy refuses to settle down with anyone. I think he has commitment issues, whereas I don't want anyone. Why invest time with someone who dumps you?

My family thinks I need someone, people think I'm gay, and I'm okay without anyone. I don't need love; I need a fake fiancé for one week. Lilian will do, considering we dislike each other. I figure I can offer an obscene amount of money, and that should work.

One thing I learned about people when it comes to money, it doesn't matter the source. Money buys everything.

After I finished dinner, I sat on the couch watching a movie. I learned to be alone after Cherisse. I went to restaurants, movie theater, and other places alone. It's easier than dealing with another person, and it involves no feelings.

I finished the movie and got ready for bed. Most people with money live in an expensive place that's grand. I didn't.  Why live in a large apartment when it's only you?  The condo served a purpose.

Now to think about what I will say to Liliana tomorrow. That should be fun.