Lost Soul on a Portrait

The snow just stops falling minutes ago, and covers almost 11 inches of the ground. Winter days for a middle aged man like me seem to be the loneliest days of the year. I live alone for 3 years now after my wife passed away. She died just a year after we got married and we have no children.

I took a glance at the portrait hanged just above the fire place. It was me and my late wife on our wedding day. Maybe I would sound crazy but the facial of my wife changes... Or maybe it was just my imagination but I saw it change from happy to sad, sad to fierce, fierce to caring, caring to angry. Huh! Maybe I was really crazy thinking about her and looking at our portrait every time I was near the fire place.

"Karl! Are you in there? Karl?" I heard someone yelling outside my door while knocking at my door so hard.

"Wait a second!" I shouted and headed to my door. "Hey what's the rush?" I asked Julian, she's an Italian friend who lives next door.

"You see, there's a newly opened restaurant just across the street and they were looking for a chef. It was urgent and I knew you we're having trouble with your savings now.. And yeah! I wrote an application letter for you and all you have to do is sign it!" Julian showed my a sheet of paper and showed me her hopeful eyes.

"Wait, what? You wrote an application letter for me? Why?" I asked puzzled.

"Don't you think it's a nice idea of us working together? You know... I've wanted us to have time together since then." She said to me and slowly bit her lower lip.

"Come on Julian, we have talked about this already and you know my stand about that topic." I told her and let out a heavy sigh.

"I know! It's just that, I wanna help you out. Look at yourself! You’re just on your 30's but you look like you're in late 50's. Just give it a shot okay? If you wouldn't like it, then resign..." That's all she said and handed me the application letter.

I let out another heavy sigh and slammed the door. I went back to the fire place and look at the portrait... She's having a fierce look again. She's really smiling on the moment the photo was taken, but why is she having that look again? Maybe it was just again my imagination.

***

“Did you sign it already?” Julian asked me without looking.

“Yes. I signed the application.” I announced as we reach her apartment.

"Yehey! At last you've let go of your late wife's haunting spirit. You know what Karl? This will be going to be fun! It seems that you've really moved on losing her. I know that your wife will be happy of what you did." She happily said and tapped my shoulder.

"Yeah. I’ll fetch you at 1 pm okay?” I said to her and waved goodbye, leaving her in front of her door.

I walked briskly to reach my apartment which is 2 doors away from Julian's. I don't know but I had some kind of feeling that I should go home. As soon as I enter my door, a loud sound of explosion was heard. The whole apartment was shaking and when the shaking stops, I found the portrait was broken on the floor. I take a look at it and my wife was smiling… A creepy one.

I put the portrait above my dining table and went out to see what happened. I stepped outside and everyone else is looking at me. I walk towards everyone but all they do is shook their heads or look away from me.

"What happened?" I dared to ask one of the guys that just came inside Julian's apartment.

"Something blasted inside... Together with her. She's... Dead already before we came." I boy was a bit hesitant to tell me what happened.