8. First Day

Holly's POV

My phone going off wakes me up. It was still dark outside, clearly way too early to be awake. I groan and yawn a little while moving around trying to find my phone and make the ringing stop. Eventually I found it in my pillow case and saw that it was my Aunt Veronica calling me. Stupid timezones.

She failed to register that it was only 5 in the morning here as she rambled on and on about random things.

Don't get me wrong; I love my Aunt as if she's my second mom but she's just a very talkative person.

We spent the next hour making small conversation. I answered all her questions.

Yes, I like it here.
No, it's not raining.
Yes, Mom is good.
No, I haven't seen a shark.
Yes, I've seen the city.
No, I haven't made any friends.

I didn't really want to tell her about Luke or Madison yet. What if they ditch me in school and then when Veronica comes over to visit she'd want to meet them and I would have to tell her I'm just as much of a loser over here.

After we hung up I had this sudden burst of energy to tidy my room. It had already began to resemble a bomb site in less than a week. I checked the clock realising it was only 8 o'clock I went downstairs and started re-reading Looking For Alaska for the hundredth time.

A few hours passed of me reading, Mom checking in on me and my phone buzzing with Twitter notifications. People wanted me to do another cover since I haven't done one in a few weeks. I tweeted saying that I'll have something for them soon. I'm not that popular but there's a few people that are so nice and supportive of my singing, which is awesome.

There was a knock on the door. I heard Mom opening it, then I heard laughing and footsteps and then Luke was standing in the doorway of the sitting room wearing his signature black jeans smiling at me.

'Why so smiley?' I questioned, beginning to smile myself.
'You look cute when your reading.' He smirked back at me. I threw the book at him to shut him up. He caught it and walked over to sit beside me.
'Looking For Alaska whats that book?'
'Only the best book of all time. I'm trying not to judge you for not having read it yet.' I laughed.
'Let me read it then.' That's a big deal. I know it's a popular book but I like to believe it's mine and only mine, yet I handed it to him anyway.
'You'll need tissues,' I warn.

It got quiet for a minute and I took this as my chance to ask about Samantha.

'Remember that girl from McDonalds, Samantha?' I could feel him tense up beside me and I begin to think that maybe I shouldn't have said anything.
He nodded. 'She's bad news and she's not worth talking about.'

We spent the day together. When we couldn't decide what movie to watch we went over to Luke's to get one there. He asked me was I nervous to start a new school and I nodded quickly trying to physically shake the thought off of me but then he said something that really means a lot to me. He promised not to leave me alone and that he'd try his very best to make it fun. I smiled and hugged him. When it got dark he walked me home and we said our goodbyes.

It's funny how close I feel with him. I'd like to believe it's rare and special to find something like this but what do I know. It's probably one sided feelings right? I'll just have to make mine go away.

I was woke by the sound of my phone ringing, for the second time in the past 24 hours, at 3a.m. Luke My Amazing Tour Guide flashed on the screen. I never noticed he saved himself as that, but it was pretty cute.

'What the fuck are you calling for at 3 in the morning? You realise normal people like to be sleeping at this hour, right?' I groaned into the phone.