Chapter Three: Methodology

Purpose of the Study
The main purpose of this study was to determine the effect of Mother Tongue Based Instruction to the Academic Performance of the grade seven students of Palanguia National High School. It aimed to know if there is a relationship between Mother Tongue and Academic Performance of the said students.

Research Design
This research study used correlational research design in order to get the relationship of Mother Tongue to the Academic Performance of the students. Correlational research tested the relationship between the two variables. Performing correlational research is done to establish what the effect of one on the other might be and how that affects the relationship. It is conducted in order to explain a noticed occurrence.

Variables
The independent variable is the grade seven students while the dependent variable is the Academic Performance. The intervening variable is the Mother Tongue Based Instruction.

Research Instrument
The researchers made a letter of permission approved by Junior High School Academic Chairperson and noted by the Senior High School Coordinator. This letter includes the permission to the researchers to have the general average of the students during their Grade Six and the Second Quarter grades this school year. The information was kept confidentiality to avoid biased research.

Methods and Procedure
The participants of the study were the grade seven students and the 5.62% of it represented the total population of the Grade Seven Curriculum of Palanguia National High School. To select the participants of the study, the fish bowl technique was utilized. The list of the grade seven students in each section was obtained from the class advisers. Rolled papers in a bowl contain the names of the student, and so 15 rolled papers were randomly picked until the desired sample size was reached. The name of the students who appeared were included in the final population of the research instrument.

Statistical Data Analysis Procedure
Pearson R