Chapter Five: Summary, Conclusions, Implications and Recommendations

Chapter five consists of three parts: (1) Summary of Purposes, Methods and Findings, (2) Conclusion and (3) Recommendations.

Part One, Summary of Purposes, Methods and Findings, reviews the purposes, methods and the research findings of this study.

Part Two, Conclusions, gives the researchers opinion on the topics based on the research findings.

Part Three, Recommendations, presents the researches view on the subject based from the conclusions.

Summary of Purposes, Methods and Findings

This research study aimed to determine the effects of Mother Tongue Based Instruction to Grade Seven students of Palanguia National High School.

Specifically, it sought to answer the following questions:
1. What is the effect of Mother Tongue Based Instruction to Grade Seven students of Palanguia National High School in relation to their Academic Performance?
2. Is there a significant relationship between the level of Academic Performance of Grade Seven students using Mother Tongue Based Instruction?

In the view of preceding problems, the hypothesis was advanced:

1.There is no significant difference between Mother Tongue Based Instruction in relation to Academic Performance of Grade Seven students of Palanguia National High School.

This correlational research study was conducted at Palanguia National High School, Palanguia, Pototan, Iloilo for the School Year 2018-2019. The respondents are the grade seven students of the said school. Fifteen or 5.62% of the students represented the total population of grade seven curriculum. Information like grades were obtained from the student's Form 137 and Class Adviser's records. The researchers used Pearson R to answer the research problem and were able to reject the hypothesis.

Findings

The research findings of this correlational research study included the following:
1. MTB-MLE refers to "first-language-first" education that is, schooling which begins in the mother tongue and transitions to additional languages particularly Filipino and English. It is meant to address the high functional illiteracy of Filipinos where language plays a significant
2. There are twelve (12) major languages or lingua franca that shall be language of instruction. The  major  languages are a) Tagalog  b) Kapampangan  c) Pangasinense  d) Iloko   e) Bikol f) Cebuano g) Hiligaynon  h) Waray i) Tausug  j) Maguindanaoan k)  Maranao;  l) Chabacano.
3. In the case of the Grade Seven students of Palanguia National High School, there is an effect and significant relationship between Mother Tongue Based Instruction as a medium of instruction to the Academic Performance of the students.

Conclusions

In view of the findings of the study, the following conclusions were drawn:
1. The researchers concluded that there is an effect in using Mother Tongue Based Instruction as a medium of instruction to the Academic Performance of the Grade Seven students.
2. There is a significant relationship between Academic Performance of Grade Seven students using Mother Tongue Based Instruction.

Recommendation

Based on the findings and conclusions, the following recommendations are hereby presented:
1. Language teacher who teaches foreign languages to native speakers. They should immerse their students in situational learning roles where the object is to learn to converse, read, write and even learn in a language other than the native one.
2. Elementary teachers who are responsible for the educational growth of children using Mother Tongue- Based Multilingual Education (MTB-MLE).
3. Future researchers who can use this study as guide and reference for future research studies.