Chapter 4

Thank you for reading Enjoy 😊

Chapter 4

Nate

      As promised Molly ordered flowers for Kayleigh the next day and I was informed immediately when the flowers were refused. I had no choice but to find out why. That's when I learned she no longer works there.

     "What do you mean she doesn't work here? I just saw her here last week!" Dread and a little panic fluttered in my stomach.

     "She was let go. Is there something I can help you with?" The new receptionist asked.

     Molly is going to kill me. "Do you have her phone number or address you can give me?"

      "I'm not allowed to give out that information, sir. Would you like to talk to my manager?" I could tell she didn't want this to go up the ladder. The last thing I want to do is deal with that pushy woman.

      Rubbing my forehead feeling a headache coming on, I close my eyes, squeezing the bridge of my nose. "No, I'll figure something out."

      Now, I really feel like a jerk. I remember her saying she had just moved here and had just started working at the medical office. I remember the look on her face and the managers when I yelled at her. I remember the look of defeat on her face when she went back to her boss's office, and I remember what she looked like walking down the street. I couldn't forget about it. Every time I close my eyes, I see her.

     That's the thing. I have a horrible temper, but I've also got a conscience that reminds me of what I've done and doesn't let up until I know I'm forgiven. I've been dreaming of her for a week. It's like I'm my own Jiminy Cricket with my conscience nagging me. It sucks but I do feel better after I've fixed what I've done. Without Kayleigh there, I'm not able to apologize. I feel like shit. I'm seriously thinking that my outburst got her fired that day. That really doesn't make me feel good about myself.

     Having just finished up my pre op appointment, I start to head out when I see the same manager in the hall. What the hell is her name? Gina, Ginger?
     "Excuse me! Excuse me, can you answer a question for me...?"  I call out to her, hoping she doesn't realize I don't remember her name.

     "Cheyenne." Ooh, way off!

      Her voice is sickeningly sweet as she strolls towards me, hips rolling side to side, chest pushed out and perked up for me to view. She's trying way too hard for me. "How can I help you, Mr. Segler? Would you like the same as last time?"

     Uh, that's a hell no! She remembers me too well.

     I have to keep this professional, I can already see this is gonna be a problem. "I'm looking for a girl I ran into last time I was in. Blonde hair, small, pretty? She was new here. I bumped into her and spilled her coffee. I think she works the front desk."

      The way her lips curled up and looks like she smells a pair of old sweaty gym socks tells me Kayleigh's dismissal was her doing. She lifts her chin and looks snobily down her nose, as if she's better than her employees.

     "She's no longer employed here." Cheyenne says disgustedly and crosses her arms over her chest. "I heard you when that klutz dumped her coffee on you. You were rightfully upset with her and I couldn't see keeping her on when she upset you so much. I had to fix the problem for you. We want to maintain our professional relationship with you, and your team, of course. We couldn't allow her behavior to continue."

     It was my fault. Me, my big mouth and nasty temper did this. She did get canned that day. Shit! "I think there's been a mistake. She didn't do anything wrong. What happened was on me." Cheyenne only smirks, shaking her head at me. She's not gonna fix this. "Do you have a phone number I could reach her? It's important."