hello officer

"Okay Ms. Stevens, you stay here in the car and keep the doors locked while I have a talk with Dr. Stevens."

"Just a talk?" Ivy balked at the thought. "You need to arrest his ass."

"Ms. Stevens.. I will try questioning him but you should know that I can't hold him without any evidence or probable cause and I can't arrest him without a warrant."

Ivy rolled her eyes deeply watching the freckled officer side-step from the car rising like an Amazon to approach the heavy glass door of the dentist's office.

"Well shit," Ivy mumbled as the officer swung it open effortlessly disappearing inside. "She strong. I'll give her that, but she should've called backup. That nigga ain't got em all."

Ivy looked over at her car which was sitting next to the police car before she put her eyes back on the door trying to peer through the darkened glass.

"If something happens to her, she left the keys," Ivy mumbled looking around for any onlookers or walkers. There were none. "I don't think she supposed to do that, but shit, I'm out this bitch with or without her."

---

"Oh, hello officer! You're responding to Dr. Stevens' call? I'll go get him now."

Trinity was greeted at the front desk by a spritely looking black girl with black box braids who seemed too ditzy and clumsy to be a criminal mastermind in any sense of the term. Her nameplate said Araya.

"Call? I wasn't aware he called, another officer must be on the way.." Probably Thomas, Trinity thought. "I came because I need to speak with Dr. Stevens if that's alright."

Araya stalled, confused. "Oh... Is it an appointment? I could schedule you."

The twin sister popped up a second later. They seemed to have different personalities though they looked so similar. She had a completely different look in her eye, one that said she might be capable of acting a nut. A look at the nameplate said her name was Draya. Trinity made a mental note to watch her.

"No. I need to ask him a few questions. I'd appreciate if one of you went to go get him."

They were complete airheads in Trinity's mind.

"Oh! Okay, certainly. Draya, go get him," Araya nudged sending her sister back to where she came from. "He should be right out."

Trinity nodded before she looked around the room, picking up magazines and putting them back down. The television was at a low calming hum and all the blue made her feel like she was on the beach.

While she searched for anything strange, her eyes darted around and a feeling told her to pay close attention to Araya.. so she looked subtly from the corner of her eye. Araya was full-on staring with a grin and sitting very still.. unhumanly still.

Trinity stood and walked toward the desk, resting her elbows on it as she peered down at the tiny ditz of a woman. She was the size of a child.

"You're a strange girl. How old are you?"

"Oh.. Me?" She pointed to herself and Trinity wanted to dry up on the spot. Who else was there? "I'm 22. I turn 23 in December."

"How long have you been working here?"

She blinked twice, her lip quivering before answering. "Um, since late 2016?"

Trinity did the math. She was 18-19 when she started.

"How much experience did you have? You were just out of high school or in your first year of college. How did you get this job?"

"Dr. Stevens was young too, he gave us a chance!"