It's All My Fault

Although Vincent couldn't see Nikolai, he certainly felt when the entity connected with the handshake in reluctant agreement of the terms. It was unexpectedly solid and felt refreshing. A pleasant chilling sensation. Like drinking ice cold liquid on the hottest day of summer. Along with such an analogy came the notion of ever wanting that pleasantly refreshing liquid to stay chilled and remain infinite. Such applied to this circumstance. Vincent didn't feel the obligatory urge to let go that usually accompanied a handshake. It was out of social expectation that he reluctantly released when he felt Nikolai's hand relax his grip first. Thus concluding the gesture that silently bound their verbal arrangement.

"Indeed. Good night Nikolai." Vincent said and resettled himself to laying on the floor once more.

There were no further disturbances the remainder of his night. Upon waking he found himself looking around the room hoping to catch a shadow silhouette upon the walls or ceiling. The sunlight through the window illuminated too much of the room to really do so in a manner that he would have been capable of possibly seeing a ghostly shadow.

As promised he woke up, showered, dressed, ate two hard boiled eggs and two toasts and left for work within one hour. He took with him the piece of paper that had been left on the counter presumably for him. He read it and answered the questions during his lunch hour break. It became apparent which questions belonged to the younger siblings and which had come from Nikolai.

Do you have a dog?
If not, will you buy/adopt one?
Not presently. I do not intend to own a pet animal in the near future.

What is your favorite color?
Purple

Can you/will you get a second controller for gaming?
Yes, I will.

Do you plan on tying the knot?
No.

Will you have family or children over?
No.

Living here permanently?
Depends, if me and my current house mates get on well enough.

Vincent had a smirk that peeked out of the corner of his lips at the sentence. He decided to add a wink face icon at the end for emphasis.

In truth, if Vincent lost his job he would have about 4 months worth of savings to pay mortgage and other bills monthly. In hopes of being okay until he could find another job in that time frame. And if he was unable to find another job in that time frame he would have to sell this three bedroom, two bathroom home on a quarter acre lot to downsize his living expenses. For now that fact was irrelevant to the question; so he didn't write it down.

Is your sex life active? If so, please tell us when and what times.
No. I don't see that being a concern in the near future.

Vincent was experienced in sex. A few one night stands here and there. But nothing serious as far as an actual relationship. Having just moved to this area and bought his first home with property to manage solo; he had no intentions of engaging in one nights or mingling with the dating scene for a while. This town was smaller and more rural with a population that favored Christianity more so than the urban he once lived in. He had reservations about if his dating preference would be available in a town like this. Let alone someone who wanted something long term. Seemed highly unlikely in both aspects. Both of which he didn't have to worry about for now. When he could focus on home and property and now house mates of the most peculiar sort.

Do you affiliate with a religion?
No.

He lunch break was almost over by the time he concluded his writings. He put the note away for safe keeping and quickly ate so he could return to work on a mostly full stomach.

He got home at 7pm exactly twelve hours after he left at 7am the previous morning. He headed to the kitchen and placed the note back down the counter. He busied himself with making curry and rice for his dinner.

. . .

The day had unraveled in an achingly gradual manner as the spirits ceaselessly mused around the house. Observing Vincent prepare himself for his career had been one of more lively aspects; in hindsight, Nikolai wished he had inquired about the male's duties. But he had been truthful about his absence, as from 7 AM to 7 PM, his skin didn't crawl with the familiar presence of a human around. Hence, their twelve-hour period had consisted of exploring Vincent's belongings and messing with the gadgets in the basement. Evangeline and Maximus intiated their afternoon in begging Nikolai to aid their efforts in the bathroom. Though the water spraying from the pipes were boiling, the two siblings reveled in the heat; even he joined the pair briefly as the drops scattered against ceramic in a seemingly empty tub. Not the same as a human body.

Next, he resided with the duo along the cushions in front of the television, where animated sea creatures sang and conversed comically. Nikolai couldn't relate to the enjoyment of such immature programs when serious issues were developing in the world, but he suffered through the visuals anyhow. Eventually, his boredom overwhelmed him and the ghost excused himself to seek his diary and spill his fresh thoughts on the pages.

For the first time in the history of our odd ghostly forms, I have abided to the living conditions of a human. Vincent W. He's a peculiar sort, although he might conclude the same for us. Platinum blonde, ocean eyes, cream-hued skin. Introverted, yet tolerant. Generous. Eva and Max have taken a strong liking to him, prominently for his technologies. I don't know how I feel yet. There's rage accompanied with a struggle for acceptance and forgiveness. I wish he had never bought this house, while I alternatively believe he's possibly bringing happiness to my siblings. I've never seen the two this content. I've never seen a human compromise with ghosts either. If he falters in his agreement or breaches something, I may have to enforce drastic measures.

One such controversial subject included Niko's journal. Whenever his siblings hid the item or attempted to skim through its contents, he punished the two as best he could: no playtime or sticking their hands under icy water. His memories and ideas were sacred, all scribbled and doodled in his notebook. If anything were to happen to his journal, he'd not know how to cope with living as a spirit. Heaving a sigh of alleviation as he tucked the novel into a corner of the attic, Nikolai floated to the basement to babysit his brother and sister.

Flesh convulsed as Vincent's soul tread on the property, alerting the trio to his evening return. "Oh, oh! Do you think he replied to our questions?". Excited, Eva bounced from her seat and bolted to meet the human in the kitchen, with Max rapidly meeting her pace and Nikolai following in curiosity. With her fingers coiled around the paper, she stubbornly possessed the delivery at the isle while her two brothers hovered behind her shoulder to read. Niko scowled as a majority of the answers contained "No's", disbelief shrouding his features. Similarly, the children complained about the lack of a pet in the home. "Hey, you two, go play. I need to talk with Vincent privately,". Nodding, the duo embarked on their quest to the basement, but not before adding "Please ask him if he'll buy a kitty for us!".

Spices scented the atmosphere as he neared the stove where Vincent cooked a meal, some foreign dish he'd seen in previous years. "They're dying to know if you'll purchase a cat for them,". Sheepishly, he rubbed a palm against his neck and fiddled with a metal spoon next to him. "I think they're wanting one because we've had canines in here, and birds and fish, but haven't had a feline yet. Living creatures...provide warmth and this often attracts us,". As awkward as the explanation seemed, Nikolai proceeded forth with his own concerns. "Anyhow, I don't understand your responses. How can you know if you won't hitch with a woman or breed children or ever have sex?". Truly, the ideas puzzled him; if he were alive, he'd seek all three activities.