Where's My Journal

The following three week days passed in a similar predictable manner as the first two. Only with no further messes made in the yard or household. Saturday turned into a morning of sleeping in for Vincent. As much as his body would allow that is. Being his normal wake up was 6am, by the time 8am came he couldn't remain asleep any longer.

At 10am a knock came to the door and Vincent voiced in subtle warning, "Be nice you three. They'll only be here for the next few hours." With that he opened the door and welcomed delivery and assembly personnel with the various furnishings of the home. By the time the personnel left it was mid afternoon and he now had a full size bed and a bedside table with dimming lamp in the loft room. A couch in the living room. A banana chair and a bean bag chair in the entertainment room. A table in the dining area that could accommodate four people eating. A computer desk and a bookshelf in one of the bedrooms he intended to turn into a study.

He initially ordered a two person size table, but the error wasn't noticed until it had been assembled. A couple phone calls later the 4 person larger and more expensive table was offered to him for the price of what he already paid for the 2 person table as a remedy for the error. He accepted the offer much to the assembly personnel's relief.

By the time they left Vincent felt himself sigh in odd relief. "Glad that's over. What took them a few hours would have taken me a few weeks to assemble if I had done everything myself. Now who would like to join me for a meal? I know you cannot eat a full meal, but perhaps we can all sit at the table together and participate to the extent of your capabilities?" Vincent asked loud enough that his three ghost associates would hear where they should find themselves in the house as he stood in the kitchen preparing food that would normally be consumed for breakfast. But decided he felt like having such category of food at a not morning time today.

. . .

During the three days with Vincent casually disappearing and reappearing from his technical career, Nikolai's mood had somewhat transferred for the better. His actions were more productive and playful, although this isn't to day he didn't have the occasional swing into depression or solemness. But his emotions towards Vincent were hopelessly jumbled and tangled, between falling in love and falling apart with him around. On Saturday, he distracted his siblings from the strangers in the house with playing a game of tag in the yard. Although the two complained about their preference for TV, Niko determined such an activity might appear odd to the men. Thus, for a few hours he entertained Eva and Max with various games around the yard and upstairs, shielding their prying eyes from the scenes below.

After the men had departed, Niko allowed his siblings to browse the new accommodations to the house. Their favorite items undoubtedly pertained to the bed and beanbag, with him having to dissuade the pair from jumping up and down on either. Much to their delight and his alleviation, Vincent summoned the trio from the basement to join him at the dinner table. Eva and Max stationed themselves on either side, while Niko throne one end of the table. Humorously, he almost felt like a King with his position as a prominent figure compared to Eva or Max's chairs. "Do you need help Vincent?". As restless as ever, the two younger ones squirmed in their seats, hoping they'd have something to aid with.

Alternatively, Niko was more than happy to relax and breathe in the sweltering scents of the kitchen. Sizzling ingredients, the aroma of meats and dairy, the sight of one human and three ghosts together in a harmonious conjunction all reminded him of family. Or some semblance of what he believed family could seem like. Although he viewed Vincent as more of an older brother than a father figure, he could also see him as something more. But again, he snuffed his thoughts and awaited for their communion of breakfast for dinner.

. . .

"Sure. Max you can get everyone a cup and a piece of paper towel. Eva you can get everyone a fork and knife. I'll bring the plates." Vincent told them, not concerned if they dropped any of it during transport. He had been on his own since he was 16 years old. His cheap dollar store and Walmart reusable plastic plates, cups and cheap metal utensils could handle it.

While they did that Vincent plated the food. His plate was full with two pieces of bacon, two slices of fresh toast, and two slices of apple. The three other plates had one of each item on them. He carried Eva and Max's plate out and retreated to bring out his and Niko's to the table. The final trip was to bring out the syrup and orange juice. Filling his cup complete, while the other cups he filled only one quarter of the way.

Vincent took his seat. He could only perceive through sight that the three seats about him were unoccupied. However the subtle sounds the ghosts made and the excitement in the air made it possible for him to imagine three figures seated. "Thanks for behaving today." Vincent remarked, looking towards where Nikolai was seated and gave him a knowing wink. For the elder brother ghost had done a phenomenal task of keeping the two young ones outside. "Let's eat." He stated and proceeded with partaking of the meal.