TWELVE.

LOVE AND GODS !

❝ THE NIGHT BEFORE THE END

NIGHT HAD FALLEN over Hawkins by the time Simon, Marie and Dustin arrived back at Dustin's home. The journey wasn't supposed to take long, but it took hours for Marie and Dustin to even convince Simon to come home with them in the first place. After all, he didn't know them anymore. They were strangers to him.

On the walk home, Dustin had tried to explain to Simon all about the gods, careful not to overwhelm him with certain aspects and details. Dustin told him about his dad, Apollo, about Mount Olympus, about the other demigods, about how they ended up in Hawkins. Dustin found it odd that he was the one explaining it all to Simon, but Marie didn't want to. She was too tired.

When the three of them stepped inside Dustin's house, Simon asked, "Where are your parents?"

"I already told you this morning," sighed Dustin, leading them to his room, "They're on vacation in Ohio for their anniversary. Don't you remem—" He cut himself off, abruptly stopping in his tracks as he glanced back at Simon.

"Remember?" finished Marie bitterly. "No, Dustin, he doesn't remember. He doesn't remember anything," she muttered, pushing past the boys as she walked off into Dustin's room. After she entered, the door shut with a loud slam!

Simon jumped, subconsciously putting a hand on Dustin's arm to steady himself. "What's got her panties in a twist?" he asked, slightly dumbfounded.

"Definitely not you anymore," Dustin mumbled under his breath.

"What?"

"Nothing," piped Dustin, clearing his throat. "Marie's just having a hard time with this, that's all. She's actually the biggest sweetheart. Super kind."

"Just like that other girl who was yelling and screaming in the woods?" Simon asked curiously, though there was a tone of humor in his words. "Was she having a hard time too or is she just like that?"

"Who, Mabel? I don't know much about her, but from what I've gathered, she's a loud and impulsive person. So her shouting wouldn't be out of the ordinary," explained Dustin.

"Why was she shouting in the first place? She was saying 'Simon' a lot. And you told me that's my name, so—"

"Mabel is your cousin," said Dustin.