NINE.

LOVE AND GODS !

❝ TAKOTSUBO CARDIOMYOPATHY

"SO LET ME get this straight," began Martin, knitting his brows together as he carefully watched Eleven from across the room. "You're telling me that a couple hundred years ago, Zeus and the other gods banished Hades to the Underworld and forced him to stay there against his will? And you're saying that 18 years ago, Hades discovered he could create Portals, and so he Portaled himself out of the Underworld and came to Earth to have a baby with your deranged mother?"

Eleven blinked once, her expression calm and reserved. "Yes."

Martin opened his mouth, and then shut it again as if in disbelief. "You're a demigod?"

El shrugged. "I—I think so. At least, Hades said I was a demigod ... whatever that means."

"The child of a human and a god," explained Martin shortly. A frown formed on his face. "Why would you even believe anything Hades says? He could be lying, you know."

El shook her head. "I thought so too, but then he made me enter his mind ... he made me see things that happened to him," she whispered timidly. El recalled how Hades had forced her to put on a blindfold while static sound played from the radio; how she went into his thoughts and saw his past, his memories. She saw how he had taken advantage of her mother, the look on his face when he had found out she was pregnant. And when El yanked off the blindfold, gasping and begging for air, she saw Hades standing in front of her, the exact same look on his face as it had been in his memories. He was grinning.

Eleven exhaled deeply, being brought back to reality as Martin glanced at her cautiously from across the room. She cleared her throat. "He's my dad. It's why I can do the things that he can do," said Eleven, more firmly.

"You mean your superpowers?" questioned Martin.

"Psychokinetic abilities," she corrected. She had learnt that word from Will. Will. She missed him.

"Same thing."

"Not really—"

Martin suddenly sat upright, his back straightening against the wall. "Demigods don't have powers," he said abruptly. His gaze met El's intense brown eyes from across the empty room. "So why do you?"