POSSIBLE GENRES

[ ;; GENRES ]

There are twelve different genres that are available, each being unique and coming with its own characteristics. These genres are randomly assigned every round. This encourages writers to step out of their comfort zone and experiment with new concepts and styles, as well as giving a fun challenge!

+

ONE ;; ROMANCE

A story that focuses on the relationship and romantic love between two people. Most stories under the romance genre have a optimistic and satisfying ending. (ex. The Notebook)

+

TWO ;; ANGST

A story that highlights the unbearable anguish of life, in hopes of overcoming the seemingly impossible situations. (ex. The Fault in Our Stars)

+

THREE ;; TRAGEDY

A story inspired by human suffering. Its purpose is to bring catharsis, which is defined as an emotional cleansing that leads to a new perspective or lesson about life, to its readers. (ex. Romeo and Juliet)

+

FOUR ;; MYSTERY/CRIME

A story that involves a mysterious death or crime that must be solved, usually through logical deduction with the facts presented to the readers. Though mystery and crime and two separate genres, they are frequently grouped together. (ex. Sherlock Holmes)

+

 FIVE ;; THRILLER/HORROR

A story that stimulates anticipation, suspense, and fright in readers. Thought thriller and horror and two different genres, they are frequently grouped together. (ex. IT)

+

SIX ;; DYSTOPIA/SCI-FI

A story that is used to explore the societal and political structure of a dark and terrible world. Most stories under the genre of dystopia will highlight topics such as poverty, oppression, and freedom. Sci-Fi, which introduces futuristic concepts involving science and technology, will be placed in the same category as dystopia. (ex. 1984)

+

SEVEN ;; HUMOUR/CRACK

A story that effectively delivers humour in a manner that is funny without the "cringe" factor. Original jokes and elevated writing is crucial in writing humour and despite the book being humour, plot and character development are necessary. (ex. Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy)

+

 EIGHT ;; SATIRE

A story challenging certain societal topics and ridicule or challenge the vices and follies. These stories are often humorous. (ex. Pride and Prejudice)

+

NINE ;; POETRY

A creative piece that has a series of similarities in form, rhyme, or style that lead to a universal theme or a meaningful message. Poetry can be prose (nonrhyming) or rhyming. (ex. Raven)

+

TEN ;; FANTASY

A story with magical components, often highlighting a character who is tasked in facing a journey ahead. This genre can consist of magical elements such as dragons, fairies, and wizards. (ex. Harry Potter)

+

ELEVEN ;; PARANORMAL

A story that features unexplainable occurrences that cannot be explained by science and reside far past the human realm. These storylines can include ghosts, poltergeists, and earthbound spirits.

+

TWELVE ;; CYBERPUNK

A story in a futuristic setting that combines lowlife and high tech, introducing an expanse of advanced technology and intelligence. Cyberpunk plots often include a future containing artificial intelligence and human modification. (ex. Blade Runner)

 Blade Runner)