Part Sixteen

Part Sixteen

•••

My hatred for romance vanishes into thin air.

Just like that, all my secured walls crumble, leaving me vulnerable and exposed. It took me a long time to build them.

I hope to be with Scott. He doesn't make it easy for me to hate him. I'm head over heels for this man.

We've been walking non-stop, and my legs feel numb from walking too much. I'm not as drunk anymore; my head just feels heavy. Bringing my hands up to rub my temples, I sigh.

I should've listened to Jason when he said I'd fall in love someday, and that day might be today. Scott is oblivious to what he's doing to me, and the fact that he isn't wearing a shirt makes me question my feelings even more.

After walking for almost twenty-four hours, I don't even want to know how Johnny Walker feels. Probably as exhausted as I am.

When I see a puddle of clean water, I don't waste time and begin to rinse my mouth and splash my face. I feel relieved as I sigh. Scott keeps walking without looking back.

"I can't walk anymore!" I yell out to him. "My muscles refuse to cooperate!"

He doesn't turn around, lifting his right arm up. "Never give up!" he shouts. "Have some faith, Squirrel!"

I roll my eyes. "Please give me a piggyback ride?"

Scott shakes his head. "No can do, sorry!"

"Please?" I ask and pout even though he can't see me. "I asked nicely."

"No means no," he says. "Didn't you learn that?"

"Pretty please?" I tempt the waters.

That catches his attention. He stops and turns around to look at me. He has an astonishing body and a beautiful face that I want to punch so badly.

His hair is disheveled as he tilts his head to the side. "You know I hate you, right?"

I can't help but squeal in excitement when he turns around and bends down. With record-breaking speed, I run and climb onto his back.

"Oh my God, yes!" I exclaim excitedly, wrapping my arms around his neck. "You know I love you, right?"

Of course, I don't mean it like that, or do I?

Scott stands up from his crouch, wrapping his strong arms around my legs while I wrap them around his waist, careful not to make contact with his family jewels.

"You should be careful with your words," he warns. "They carry more power than you think."

I roll my eyes at his pun, but I have a strong feeling that he truly means it. Resting my cheek against his soft skin, I sigh.

Running my hands through his hair, I play with his soft locks, deep in thought. Everything takes a turn for the worse when I realize I am in love. This is bad on so many levels. Will I allow myself to get hurt again?