Angels

The angels paint the sky every day. They paint the oranges and pinks of the sunrise in the morning, the purples and deep blues as it becomes night. The sky is beautiful and elegant. Every thing about the sky is perfect, the sunrise and sunsets never look the same, they are like snowflakes each one different, never to be replicated. Jake was similar to the sky, he was different and original, like no one I had ever met before. He was perfect, as if he were hand painted by angels, it would have taken years to paint something so perfect. He could make everyone smile no matter how badly they where hurt. He took time to care about me, like no one ever had before. He was special, nothing else compared, he was better than all of the boys in magazines and on T.V. His eyes where a deep chocolate brown, big and full of mystery and excitement, his hair was a perfect brown, no matter how hard he tried it always looked perfect. A lot of girls wanted him. I didn't even have him, he wasn't mine, and it killed me to not have him. You don't just let someone so amazingly perfect slip away. I was lucky to even have him as a friend, most girls weren't as lucky.

   It was fall, the leaves fell, the temperature dropped, we went back to school, everything was calm and beautiful. I held the case to my clarinet in my hand as Jake and I walked into the building, he adjusted the handle of his saxophone as we walked into the band room. You could only here our footsteps as we walked. Silence was how we communicated. We had nothing to say, well nothing that we where willing to say. Half of our friendship consisted of staring at each other in silence, we didn't have to say anything to understand each other. As we put our cases down on the shelves he spoke.

   "How are you?" He asked, his voice rich with curiosity.

   "I'm doing fine. How about you?" I replied. I took this by surprise, he normally understood how I was feeling just by taking a glance at me.

   "No your not."

   "Excuse me?"

   "Your not fine. I can tell."

   "I'm fine. Trust me." I grabbed my left wrist protectivly. He automatically looked down at my wrist and stepped forward grabbing my wrist and pulling up the sleeve on my blue jacket and ran his fingers across the scars, some new some old. I winced as he ran his fingers across the fresh cuts I had made with a blade stowed in my bathroom. He didn't know I cut. I absent planned to tell him either.

   "Don't do this." He said softly.

   "Do what?" My voice shook as I looked into his eyes.

   "Please don't hurt yourself. Your an amazing person." Then date me. I thought to myself, not daring to say it out loud. He put his free hand on my cheek and softly pressed his lips against mine . I stood on my tip-toes in order to be level with him as I kissed him back. He let go of my wrist and pulled my sleeve back down as we kissed.