Chapter 4

I melt into the kiss and tangle my hands in his hair. Once I pull away we're both breathing heavily and speechless.

I smile and let out a nervous laugh. He does the same. The awkward silence is cut off by Daniel's phone ringing. He excuses himself and answers it. While he's gone I get up and look around his music studio. It's really amazing. He's always loved music and I'm happy that he gets to do what he loves.

I make my way into his bedroom and see some pictures on his wall. I don't think he'd mind me looking around so I walked over to the pictures. They're mostly pictures of him and his family. I forgot how close Daniel and I used to be. I wonder why I don't remember how close we were. I stumble across a Polaroid. I study it and realize it's a picture of me and Daniel in the chemistry lab.

"There you are," he says startling me.

"Yeah, sorry I just wanted to look around," I say.

"No worries. What are you looking at?" He asks.

"Is this picture of us?" I ask pointing to the Polaroid.

"Yeah," he laughs, "you don't remember?"

I shake my head and I'm not lying this time.

"Some girl from a photography class saw us messing around in the lab and took a candid of us. She used it for an assignment and gave it to me," he says take it off the wall.

He hands it to my and I bring it closer to my face. There we were in 10th grade, with our stupid lab goggles on and aprons. I was holding up a test tube and pretending to pour it onto Daniel.

"I hated that class," I laugh.

"I think everyone did," he agrees.

I turn to hand the picture back to him and he's so close to me I accidentally hit him. I apologize and we laugh again. Daniel puts the picture back up on the wall.

"It's late. I should probably head home," I say.

"Oh, yeah," he says.

We walk back outside and get into Daniel's car. I direct him to my house and he walks me to the door. He looks down at me as if he's waiting for me to give him permission to kiss me again. Instead, I hug him and say goodnight. He hugs me tightly and tells me he'll text me later.

We pull away and I walk inside. I close my door and let out a sigh.

I did not expect to kiss Daniel, not tonight, not ever.

I must have passed out as soon as I lied on my bed because the next thing I know I'm waking up in my clothes from yesterday. It's Monday morning so I head to work. I put on my uniform and get in the car and go. I work in a coffee shop in LA during the summer, but my apartment is a little out of town. I'm in college studying psychology but we're off for the summer. I moved here for college and I guess Daniel did to pursue music.

"Coffee for Jonah!" I yell.

A tall guy with brown hair walks over and grabs the cup. He continues to stand there for a second until he says something.

"Excuse me," he says, "I ordered another coffee."

"Oh, I'm sorry about that. What was it?" I ask.

"I can't remember. Let me ask him," he says, "Daniel!"

I see a familiar face walk over to the counter. His eyes light up when he sees me.

"Hey y/n," he smiles.

"You know each other?" Jonah asks.

"Yeah," Daniel says, "we used to go to school together."

"Oh she's that y/n! Daniel would talk about you all the—" Jonah says before Daniel elbows him.