Was It Something I Said?

My mind was alive all night with my thoughts. The book I was reading to try and calm myself was not working. I peaked over the top and looked at the placid face of Hotch. When he was sleeping, it was practically angelic.

The words of my author suddenly became an unappealing swirl compared to him. I placed my book over on the marked page on the table. I leaned over and stood beside his bed. I gently picked up the comforter and tucked it over him.

I clicked the lamp off and the room became dark and silent. Hotch's steady breathing was all that filled the room. In my attempt to rest, I always found myself thinking of him. My heart was aching at that point. I longed for a companion's love in return.

When I woke up the next day, I had to practically drag myself. The shower did I good job of cleaning me but a horrible job of washing away my pain and thoughts. I was suiting up my tie when I caught a glimpse of him buttoning his shirt in the mirror. I tried not to stare.

"Come on, Reid," He said and looked around the room to make sure we did not miss turning off anything. "Let's get going."

He swiped the room key off the table and closed the door behind me. We walked down the hall side by side. God? WHY did I want to grab his hand and walk even closer?

We met Emily and Agent Tyler in the breakfast area.

"G'morning," He said with a slight wave in his hand.

I smiled and continued walking to fix a cup of coffee. I poured it into a portable cup for the road. As we were walking out of the hotel, the shouts of group of people were coming across the street.

"Oh no," muttered Tyler.

"What is it?" Emily leaned over and asked.

"I can tell by their posters and excessive yelling that it is an anti-homosexual group," he explained.

"Are they common around here?" Hotch asked.

Don't make any sudden movements, I told myself.

"Yes, and have risen ever since these crimes," he said and continued walking.

"Could they be involved somehow?" I inquired.

"If that's the lead you going from, then I suggest going up to that there ring leader and questioning him, " Tyler said and pointed at the gruff man standing on a large wooden box.

"Who is he?" I asked.

"I dunno," he said with a shrug.

Emily, Hotch, and I all exchanged looks. We all knew we had to find out who this guy was. She was going to be the one to do it.

"Excuse me," she said and stepped towards the crowd. "Excuse me!"

Suddenly, everyone stopped chanting and fell silent.

The leader leaped down from his podium. His expression had changed from mad,angry to upset,angry. His bushy red beard almost masked his entire face. It dropped to his wide chest when he asked, "What?"

She flipped out her badge and said, "I am Agent Emily Prentiss. These are Agents Hotchner, Reid, and Moore."

I presented my badge.

"What's the FBI doing here?" He said with a grunt and folded his arms over his chest.

"We are here investigating a few related crimes," She said and kept a sharp eye contact.

"Great, but you don't need to pay attention to it much, sweetheart," he scoffed.

She frowned and said, "It still has families concerned."

"Nobody cares about the homos," he said defensively.

I prayed that she would save her anti- homosexual talk for later.

"If you don't mind my asking, sir, but what is your unauthorized group doing on this busy city sidewalk?" She asked and raised a brow.

"Keeping the peace," he stated firmly.

"It seems to me like a disturbance," she said.

"Yeah, but at least we are getting the message out there that people will go to hell if they turn the wrong way of immortal homosexuality," He said.

I felt my stomach drop. Surely, I would not get a first class ticket to hell if I was homosexual. However, I am a believer in a higher power.

His eyes shifted to me. I could feel them devouring me slowly.

"I don't think you should be yelling it as uncivilized as this looked," Hotch said.

"What, are you one of these homos too?" He blurted out.

Hotch shook his head and simply said, "We are through here. Let's get going."

The guy smiled a beefy smile. As we turned to leave, I couldn't help but feel an ache in my soul. Could I let this bother me? No, I had things to do. This guy, this redneck and uncouth ape and his pathetic speech were not going to change me.