Acceptance

"You're autistic?" Caleb asked.

Gracie sighed and nodded.

Caleb grinned. She was beautiful. And different. He gently touched her arm, but she pulled away. Caleb bit his lip and met Gracie's eyes.

For the first time in a long time, Gracie wasn't uncomfortable looking into people's eyes. His eyes were green and kind and soft.

"C'mon." He whispered, nodding to the door. Gracie was hesitant. She knew that she wasn't supposed to go anywhere with strangers. But, this boy seemed different. There was something calm and kind about him. And, he looked to be a year older than her at the most. So, she followed.

Gracie was led into an empty hospital room. There was a bit of vomit in the floor, so she wrinkled her nose and looked away from it. Caleb cringed. 'Dang it, Aunt Veronica.' He thought. He grabbed a paper towel and threw it over the mess, then sat in a plastic chair in the other side of the room. Gracie sat next to him.

"So." He said. "Tell me about you." Gracie's mind began racing. What to tell? Her name is  Gracie Ann Smith. She is seventeen. Her favorite color is pink. "Gracie?" He asked. She looked up, and cringed. How long was she sitting silently?

"You don't have to talk if you don't want to." Caleb said, staring down at his feet. His gaze flickered from his high tops to her Keds. Gracie smiled at him. She was glad he wasn't demanding her to speak, like lots of people did.

"My name is Gracie Ann Smith, and I'm seventeen years old." Caleb was entranced by her voice. So soft, so sweet. As Gracie continued to speak quietly, Caleb slipped his hand into hers.

She tensed up at first, but she relaxed after a moment. His hand was warm and welcoming. She closed her eyes. Everything felt ok.

— Sorry this was such a short chapter. Also, I'm going to apologize for the romantic scenes. I'm not very good at writing romance :') —