Awkward Silence

One minute Caleb was washing his hair in his cell. The next, he was sitting at a large wooden table. Across from him was a rather large, balding man holding a clipboard. A tall, thin man with black hair stood against the wall, and guards stood outside the room.

Caleb muttered "H-Huh?" The balding man smiled a sickeningly sweet smile, and spoke:

"Why, hello there, Caleb. I am Thomas Rosemary, and you will call me Mr. Rosemary. I'd like you to meet this very nice man." Mr. Rosemary gestured to the tall man standing off to the side. The man grinned shyly, staring at the floor.

"Now, Caleb, this very nice man is your Uncle Walter!" Mr. Rosemary continued. Caleb looked confused. His dad told him that Uncle Walter was dead! Mr. Rosemary nodded, as if he could read his thoughts. "Yes, yes, I know that you've been told things about your dear uncle Walter, but he is an extremely good chap, and you'll be living with him!" His. Jaw. Dropped.

Before Caleb knew it, "Uncle Walter" signed some papers and they were riding away from juvenile hall in a small, red, pickup truck. "So..." Walter began, staring awkwardly at the road ahead of him. He gripped the steering wheel so hard that his knuckles turned white.

"Yeah..." Caleb muttered, trying to hint to this stranger that he had no interest in talking to him. The ride from juvie to his house consisted of nothing but occasional small talk and awkward silence. He hates awkward silence.

When they arrived at the house, they both got out. Uncle Walter walked towards the front door, while Caleb stayed standing next to the car. "Come on, Caleb!" He called over his shoulder. He rolled his eyes and walked into his house.

And, he couldn't have been more surprised to see what awaited him inside that house.