Disinfectant

Warning: this chapter contains ableism

Gracie wrinkled her nose. The hospital smelled like disinfectant.

She rocked back and forth on a tiny, plastic chair outside of Mom's room. Libby was inside with Mom, but Gracie didn't want to see her yet.

Aunt Mary had disappeared right after they arrived at Mom's room.

Gracie was afraid. Afraid that Mom was hurting too bad. Afraid that Mom's lungs would stay messed up. Afraid that... Mom wouldn't wake up.

"HELLO!" Someone said loudly. Gracie jumped, and quickly turned towards the voice, covering her ears. Why hadn't she thought to bring her ear defenders?

Standing in front of her was a tall, Asian woman with her black hair in a bun. She was wearing a pale gray dress, but she had a blue puzzle piece pin on the front pocket.

"HELLO, DEAR. I AM DOCTOR MIHN." She said, loudly. Her voice was slow and syrupy sweet, as if Gracie couldn't understand her otherwise. Gracie tightened the hold on her ears, and began to bounce up and down. Doctor Mihn's eyes hardened. "STOP THAT SELF STIMULATORY BEHAVIOR. HAVEN'T YOUR PARENTS TAUGHT YOU THAT IT'S NOT HEALTHY?"

Gracie whimpered. Why was this lady screaming? "Why are you talking so loud?" She whispered. Doctor Mihn frowned. "MY SON HAS AUTISM AND HE CAN'T HEAR. THE OTHER DOCTORS SAY THAT HE'S DEAF FOR A SEPARATE REASON, BUT THEY'RE FOOLS."

Gracie sighed. "I can hear just fine, ma'am. Maybe even a little better than most people. So, can you please not talk as loud? And I can understand you at your normal speed and volume." Doctor Mihn rolled her eyes.

"I hate that you had to get autism. You would've been such a pleasant young woman if you were normal." Gracie gasped a bit. Normal? Was her autism bad? At least the doctor was talking normally now...

Doctor Mihn sighed. "It's so hard talking to incompetent people." She said, as if Gracie couldn't hear her. "I'll give your sister my business card, and maybe you two can stop by my support group. If you can remember things, just remember to ask her to ask me about it." Then she walked off.

Gracie nervously rocked back and forth. She wasn't normal? W-What? Was... was Doctor Mihn right? She sighed and poked her head in the hospital room, her eyes closed. "Libby?" She whispered. Libby walked out of the room.

"What's up, Gracie?" She asked. Gracie glanced up at the ceiling before remembering 'Oh, she means 'What's happening.'' "Can I borrow a dollar, please?" Gracie asked breathlessly. Libby nodded and pulled a one dollar note out of her purse. She pressed it into Gracie's palm, and looked into her sister's eyes for a moment. Gracie looked away.