04

"he told me to call him 'jack mehoff'!" i exclaim to cameron and boyce, who stare at me blankly. 

then, boyce laughs and covers it up with a cough. "any idea who it might be?"

well, i was hoping it'd be you, my brain says. 

i've pretty much been in love with boyce since he moved to my school in grade 9. he showed up at a time where i had just lost my childhood best friend, tucker--who randomly abandoned me for the popular crowd at the beginning of high school.

boyce was nice, funny, good-looking, the whole package.

it's possible. it's a long strech, but it is. if he cared enough, he could use his work phone to text me. i don't have his number for that.

he seemed like the type to woo a girl like this...

"not a clue. he's a senior and in my chemistry class. it's all i know."

cameron sighs. "that's like...20 boys. you're fucked, sweetie. maybe it's the new boy, graham murphy?" 

"he's really hot! he has like this mysterious edge to him," i respond enthusiastically, just trying to get a reaction out of boyce. 

"amelia, that's not a 'mysterious edge'. he clearly is one of those boys who street fights and deals coke," boyce tells me.

"that's a big generalization," i want to tell him. but instead, i shut up because this is boyce we're talking about. i nod. "yeah, i guess. he still is hot though. and he does seem like the type to call me 'princess'."

"are you hoping it's him?" boyce asks tersely and i suddenly wonder if he's jealous. is he? 

"i don't know. maybe." i certainly wouldn't be disappointed if it was.