29

i hadn't initiated something with my parents in years. 

with all the recent changes in my life, i guess i was feeling a little inspired.

"dad," i say, hopping into the kitchen. "dad!" i wave a paper in front of his face.

"what, amelia?"

"we missed tucker's birthday," i tell my parents.

at the name of my old childhood friend, my mom perks and looks at her calendar. "honey, that was more than a month ago." she deflates again.

"okay, we still have the opportunity to give gifts!  it's christmas soon."

"what are you saying?" my dad asks, finally looking up at me.

"what if we flew to the maritimes? we live in ontario, and quebec we can drive to...but let's tour the maritimes!" i sound sure, but i really am hesitant. it's be a long time since i've asked them for anything and i was almost sure they'd reject me.

they agree. i don't know what god was blessing me that day, but my parents, the ones who never go out, agree to buy plane tickets for the four of us. 

before we can though, i have to call tucker.

amelia: incoming call

tucker: call accepted

"hello?"

"i have a question."

"okay," he says, a mixture of fear and humour in his voice.

"would you be willing to go on a plane again to...go to the maritimes?"

he's quiet. "no. i don't ever want to go on a plane again. i thought you understood that." tucker hangs up.