In The Future

"Nana, can we watch you and Grandad dance?" A little girl with brown eyes and curly black hair asked, tugging on an elder woman's arm. The elder woman in question, was finishing peeling the last potato for a shepherd's pie big enough for everyone.

"What now in real life or on the TV?" She asked, putting the potatoes on the stovetop.

"The TV, the old one, in yours and Grandad's office," her cousin, who looked remarkably like the older woman had when she was young, said, twirling her pigtail around her finger.

"Okay, yeah, do Seb and Oliver want to watch too?"

"I don't know we'll ask," the one with the curly hair said and pulled her cousin away with her.

"Could you watch this for me love? Call me or Dad when it's done?" She asked her daughter who was rocking a baby who was sleeping.

"Yeah, you don't have to show it for them Mum, they've seen it all before, I know it's alot to go upstairs. Mike could do it, or Matt he grew up with it," the daughter replied kindly, her parents were at the age when people generally stated worrying about them.

"I'm okay, shout me, 20 minutes," and off she went, after kissing her on the head, to find her grandkids and show them the life she once lived.

"Who's coming to see Grandad's awful dancing then?" Her husband said, rounding up 5 excited grandchildren.

"Upa gaga, upa," the 2 year old said, noticing that his siblings and cousins were excited about something.

"Oh how could I forget about you eh Tommy?" He bent down and picked him up as easy as he had done with his own, "go on follow Nana."

"Right Grandad can you load the DVD player and I'll get the disc," Nana said, opening the cabinet in the office to find the disk labelled #teamjoanne.

"Help Ra-ra," the son of their youngest said to his cousin. Clara lifted the 3 year old up onto the bed.

"Thank you my dear, are you all comfy?" The older man said, as his wife passed him the right disc, the grandchildren watching in awe as the machine weared and came to life. It still made the couple smile watching the children react to something that, at one point in their lives, had been new to them.

"You look so nervous Grandad," The boy called Oliver said, as their memories played on the TV system that was at least 30 years old.

"I was, I had no idea what was happening, Tess, this lady, kept asking if I was okay," he pointed to the host, watching his younger self nervously explaining why he had decided to partake. It seemed like a life away to the kids, but for their Grandad it was like it was yesterday.

"Oh Nana, you look beautiful. I always forget you had red hair," the little girl called Clara, who had first asked to see the film, said, wide eyed.

"Yep, until uncle Matthew was born and then she went back to being brown," Joe reminisced, putting an arm around his wife of 37 years. He was certain he was as in love with her now as he had been back then. In fact it was possible he loved her even more in this season of their life.

"Were you in love then?" the other girl, Emmy, asked, wiggling her feet at the old music. She had heard her mum play this music and she had grown to love it herself.

"I think Grandad was, I might have taken a bit longer to fall in love," she smiled, nudging her husband who nodded in agreement.

"That's Nana and Grandad Charlie, when they were young." Clara said to her 3 year old cousin, she took the job of being the oldest very seriously.