Chapter 2 : Rooms

As the elevator dinged I tore myself away from the blank space beyond the doorway. The feeling in the pit of my stomach slowly lifted and I turned back to the machine. A loose piece of my bangs slipped in front of my face so I brushed it aside and behind my ear. A bit dazed, I sighed.

Let's just scan these quickly and move on.

The pile slowly shrank and I organized them into the right places in the computer before taking my pile into the file room. My mind eventually found a neutral place to rest while I worked. Focusing on the lyrics of the music kept thoughts at bay for the time being. The hours passed by slowly but the grumbling of my stomach alerted me it was some time around 11. I finished the stack I was halfway through before pulling out the lunch I brought with me.

I grabbed my phone and propped it up on the stack I just finished. Flipping it from music to YouTube I played a random video that appeared on the front page. I ate quickly and continued working. I wanted to get the desk clear before I went home but I knew it was impossible. I would have to say late into the night to finish all of this. Another few hours went by and I couldn't shake the aura from earlier.

Perhaps I should tell Lucy about it, Lust even. I'm just worried to even see a trace of her. When I first got access to the computer I searched the entire resource for any information on where my parents souls would be and didn't find much. Suspiciously, almost nothing other then that they are my parents. Ark said that some information was held outside the archives but why would their information be elsewhere. It made me ever more suspicious of God.

By the time 4:00 rolled around I was exhausted from thinking to much. A few others popped down to say hi but I knew most probably didn't know I was here yet. Tomorrow I may have to take a trip and say hello for Lunch. As I finished the last stack I was going to complete for the day I entered the main room and sighed.

Despite my disbelief, God was combing through the books on the shelves when I entered the room. He walked slowly along the wooded structures and ran his finger across the bindings of the dusty books. I could barely hear the footsteps as he turned to me. His eyes dug into mine as we made eye contact. His face was worn from years of stress. His hair was mostly grayed including his beard. He looked just as tired as last time I saw him. Despite his physical appearance, his suit was still proper as always and stuck out sharply against the dark, earthy tone of the room. The white was almost unsettling.

"Evening." He flashed a week, white smile

"Evening. What prompted this visit?" I walked to my desk and sat down. The chair rolled a bit and squeaked.

"I wanted to make sure things went well in your first day back. I presume the security worked for you?" He stepped away from the wall and towards me. He stopped at the front of my desk and sat in one of the two opposing chairs. I've only ever sat in one of those chairs before. Having God himself sit before me was strangely satisfying.

"Yeah. It let me in just fine. Why all the new security?" I gestured towards the touch panels on the walls.

"Well there not completely new. They have been here for about a year now. After someone infiltrated the building I decided some extra protocols needed to be put in place." He closed his eyes and folded his arms. I remember what he's referring to. During the battle clash all those years ago. While everyone was out of the building and distracted, someone broke in and stole information. They never released info on who stole what but knowing how many secrets this place has, that doesn't shock me.

"I see." I couldn't find any other questions I was comfortable asking. I could ask him about Devins situation but I would rather talk to Lucy about that. My trust of him was still on the ropes.