Chapter Twelve

Sinister

Chapter Twelve

There was no fluctuation in Killian's confidence as he slipped into the car, tasting the tense atmosphere first hand. Tate glared at Killian through the mirror, refusing to turn and greet him, refusing to acknowledge him at all.

Killian grinned at Leighton, eyes pinching at the corners. "I can't say I'm happy to see you here with him, Leighton. You are lovely though." Leighton looked down as Killian laid a hand on Tate's shoulder. "Partner."

Tate ripped his brother's fingers from his skin, bending Killian's wrist until he made a sound of displeasure. "I'm not your partner," Tate seethed, frost starting to trace the veins along Killian's forearm.

Killian's eyes flitted over Leighton's face, reading her guilt like the page of a book. His lip curled slightly, chin tilting up and to the side before he latched his eyes onto Tate. "This is no way to treat your older brother, respect it usually required."

Tate twisted a little further.

Killian gasped and then set his eyes into a glare. "What do you want from me, Tate? An apology for doing my job?"

Tate mouth contorted into an ugly shape. "How is lying to me about the most important thing doing your job, Killian?"

Killian rolled his eyes, blowing out air through his nose. "The most important thing? I suppose by that you mean family. Let me fill you in on something else, little brother, you haven't always loved the idea of our being related."

Tate's fingers tightened on his brother's skin. "What are you talking about?"

"Do you know how many times over the millennia you've cast me out, disowned me, threatened to kill me? Don't throw the word family in my face like it's supposed to mean something to me, Tate." Leighton had to fight the urge to intervene, not understanding Killian's attitude. He had been the one fighting for her to protect Tate, so why was he the one trying to get Tate to reject the idea of them having a connection?

"Why would you lie?" Tate demanded, face clouding as more questions piled up behind his eyes.

"Because I had to!" Killian yelled, exasperated. "If I had told you the last time you woke up than you would have wanted to spend the next fifty years getting to know me and then you would have been reset again!"

Leighton clenched her teeth, looking at Killian with a stern eye. But it was too late, Tate was starting to understand what he had been missing throughout the entire conversation. Killian noticed the slip too, his eyes moving to Leighton's.

"Reset?" Tate repeated, his voice starting to waver. "What are you talking about?

"Damn, kid," Killian swore, looking sideways at Leighton. "Couldn't have helped me out there?" Leighton wanted to kill him.

Tate swung his gaze to Leighton, wearing the worst expression. Betrayal. "You know what he's talking about? You know and you didn't tell me?"

"Tate―" Leighton started.

Killian interrupted. "When you misbehave and I fail to get you in line, the Makers reset you so that you can keep on collecting and we can all keep happy. It happens every couple of centuries, girls like Leighton are usually your downfall."

Leighton glared at Killian, wondering how he could sound so nonchalant, so detached. But the grief underneath his calm demeanor told her the story. Killian had had this conversation with his brother before.

Tate began to shake, first it was just his hands but then it was his entire body. Leighton reached out a tentative hand, wondering if her touch would soothe or upset. Tate recoiled, drawing into himself as he tried to understand.