Chapter 9 Plans, Plans Everybody has a Plan

Trigger warning: This chapter and the next contain scenes of a male sexual assault that some may find disturbing.

The first hover transport came across the eastern horizon just as shades of grey splintered the black, early morning sky. The rain had stopped, leaving a chill in the early morning air. NaV0 stood at the French doors of her upstairs lounge, watching the small craft land in the centre of the compound. She timed how long it took her guards to hustle the passengers safely inside the mansion where they could relax in peace. Three minutes were all that it had taken before the craft lifted off again. The next craft would land in exactly five. All part of her tightly-constructed schedule.

The years of struggles, schemes, and planning were finally paying off. She had what she wanted: the power to make and break men. No-one believed a woman could forge twelve small crime factions into one powerful organisation, and the battle to prove otherwise had been a bloody one. Thanks to her cunning, the galaxy now had to deal with the power of the Continuum. The folks back on Duridia would be shocked by her success. Maybe she'd pay them a visit. Her lips tugged upward at the thought. She'd take a hopper, Jahob and maybe the kid, go back and shove their jeers and ill opinions down their collective throats.

The next craft landed. NaV0 watched her guards move to help the new guests inside. Nervous anticipation set her heart beating wildly. Even her skin tingled with excitement in anticipation of the day's success. It had taken ten million credits to cover the expenses for this conference. The money covered everything from transport to buying off the local law and three members of the Shadow Proclamation. Now, even the most notorious of guests could travel without worry. When they arrived, they would find a day filled with meetings to plan expansion of their criminal enterprise and establishing a permanent headquarters on Regulus IV, topped by an evening filled with dinner and the auctions.

Hard-heeled boots clicked across the marble floor. Her eyes shifted to the reflection of an approaching man in the glass door. She didn't bother to turn when her favourite guard stepped next to her. Her attention stayed focused on the morning suns peeking above the horizon. They watched the black sky give way to deep purples and oranges. A satisfied grin broke on her face when the last craft lifted off. The guard cleared his throat, breaking her moment of silence. "The men are settling the guests and merchandise just as you have ordered, Mistress, and I have seen to the arrangements for your special guests."

"Good. How is my contribution to the auction doing today?"

"I'm afraid, despite the drugs, he was not forthcoming about your property. He does seem confused today. The drug stayed in his system longer than expected."

"Well, what a shame; my business associates will find my failure to get the ship disappointing. I suppose being the last of his kind can still make me money. Perhaps our bidders will find his confusion ... charming. Make sure he is clean, and make sure the girl thinks I have forgotten about her. She can help out with the guests, but keep her away from him. I have plans for her tomorrow."

"Yes, Mistress."

"Jahob?"

"Yes, Mistress?"

"You'd better hope your excessive enthusiasm does not cost me. If it does, our special guest won't be alone on the auction block!" she said. The cold smile on her face matched the look in her eyes. The guard's distressed look let her know the man would tread cautiously today. She did not make idle threats. A voice in her earwig announced three new guests arriving by vortex manipulator, and NaV0 headed to greet them.

Three jovial human men stood in the foyer, excited to meet their hostess, who welcomed them with opened arms. One clapped his hands together when he saw NaV0 descending the staircase.