Chapter 18

They went back to Dan’s house after that, skipping the rest of school. Phil wasn’t just angry, he was upset.

“How could I have been so stupid? If we don’t want to come out to the school, we don’t start making out in school!” He slammed his palm into his forehead. “What the fuck was I thinking?”

“Phil, don’t worry, it wasn’t your fault,” Dan soothed, as he unlocked the door to his house.

“No, you’re right. How the fuck was I supposed to know that your crazy ex-girlfriend was going to follow you around? Thanks for the heads-up, Dan”. He scowled.

Dan didn’t say anything, but followed Phil through to where he sat on the sofa in the living room.

He held his head in his hands and sighed, “Dan, I’m sorry. This isn’t your fault. Nor is it mine. Zoe should mind her own fucking business. Fucking bitch… Sorry Dan-”

“- No no it’s fine. She has no right to out someone,” Dan sat down next to Phil, “But hey, she probably didn’t do it. I know her, she can sometimes be a decent human being – I’ll call Chris and ask.”

Phil lay back, looking up at the ceiling, and nodded. Dan took out his phone and dialled Chris’s number.

He answered after only two rings, “Dan, is everything okay?”

“Chris, hey.” He hesitated, “Um… Have you heard anything, about me and Phil?”

“Unfortunately, we have. It’s all over the school, mate. Zoe’s been telling everyone that she saw you two kissing behind the bike shed,” fuck, I looked over at Phil, who raised an eyebrow. I shook my head, and he groaned, before punching a pillow. “I mean, me and PJ knew already-”

“What?!”

“Don’t act so surprised, Dan. We hang out with you two every break, and you aren’t exactly subtle,” he chuckled, “don’t worry, we still love you, in fact, I’m bi.”

Dan smiled to himself, of course Chris and PJ would understand. They were the best friends he’d ever had, “thank you.” He paused. “How many people know?”

“Everyone. Some believe it, some don’t. Either way, I think this is gonna stick. Sorry, Dan.”

“Shit, do you think they’re pissed?”

“Who cares? If anyone lays even a finger on either of you, me and PJ will beat the shit out of them. Homophobic cunts… Anyway, Dan, I have to go, I have a lesson. I’ll see you two tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay. Bye, thank you again.”

“No problem, bye Dan.” The line went dead.

Dan turned to Phil, who still sat on the sofa, elbows on knees, and face in hands. Dan sat down next to him, and placed his hand on his shoulder, tracing circles on his skin.