Chapter Eight

I need an anthem.
I need a song I can sing

John Laurens IV

"So, John, are you going to explain why Alexander is sleeping on our couch, fast asleep?" Herc doesn't look very happy with me as his looming form strides into the living room.

"He looks pretty drugged too," Laf adds. Wow. These two sure had fast thinking.

"Sleep medicine in his milk," I mutter.

"Uh-huh. Now, what do plan to do to him? Is it consensual? He might still be a minor for all you know?" Herc begins another one of his frequent verbal assaults that got triggered when something was off.

Shit. I hadn't thought about that angle of things. He just looked so mature. But then again if he had school he wouldn't be able to work at the coffee shop. But he might've skipped, or dropped out. Dammit.

"And how you just happened to go out for a midnight stroll and came back with your crush in tow, then later he ends up on our couch? At this point, you might as well sleep with him for what it's worth, while you can."

I turn a violent shade of red. I can't say that I don't want to, but that's just overkill.

"I--uh--"

Laf turns to Herc. "His bed or the couch?"

"Couch is too small. Definitely John's bed. Too bad our walls are so thin. I should've picked one with thicker walls. Sound travels way too easy in this apartment."

"Uhm, can I--"

"Well, that's one thing. I think the lock on John's door is broken too. I remember one time he was mad at me and--"

Laf breaks out into giggles, giggles, before finishing his sentence, and so does Herc. Alexander just tried to kill himself and they're laughing. A life almost ended, and they're laughing. I can't take this.

"YEAH, I BROUGHT HIM BACK HERE BECAUSE HE TRIED TO FUCKING SHOOT HIMSELF!"

A stunned silence after my outburst. Alex-no, Alexander-grunts.

"I couldn't let him go back there. Wherever there is. I couldn't let him go back."

Herc steps forward. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"Because you two were making these inappropriate references and wouldn't let me talk at all! Laughing, while he nearly died!"

The apartment is quiet again, all except for the sound of the city and Alexander's soft snoring. They crossed a line today. My yelling at them was justified. Wasn't it?

"I'm sorry," Laf whispers.

Herc lets his head fall down. "So am I."

I scowl. This night has been long enough. "Tomorrow, when he wakes up, and I'm at work, and if he gets hurts-even one scratch-I'm out of there." I sigh. "Look, last night, I was getting signs that he was abused as a child. He kept on telling me to let him go, and how if I let him go he wouldn't say anything again, and that I promised I wouldn't touch him. I promised to 'Mom'. He was whimpering. Whimpering. He was truly scared and treated me like I was someone else--someone he truly feared. So please, treat him gently and nicely.

"I just want him to be happy. Please, be careful with him."

"John, trust us, we won't let anything harm him," Herc says.

I give them a look than say, "I've got his gun. He'll probably ask for it. Don't give in to him. And don't let anything hurt him."

"Trust us we got this. This isn't the first time we've dealt with someone who's trying to kill themselves, John." Laf says quietly.