Light at The End of The Tunnel

Delhi was covered with a blanket of thick peak winter fog. It was the time when trains, flights and all vehicles coming into the city were at the mercy of the fog. It had been a couple of days that the sun was out. It had rained the previous night too leaving fresh puddles of brown water here and there. Annika had taken care to dress up, with her hair woven into a loose plait. She had lined her eyes with some smokey kohl and wore Sumo's light pink lipstick. She had checked herself in the mirror a couple of times, making sure that everything was good. The only appropriate dress in her wardrobe turned out to be the suit Om had presented just a few weeks earlier for Diwali- the pastel Tussar salwar suit. It was neither too dressy, nor was it too plain, just right for meet-the-parents.

The dying embers of a small fire had left an acrid stench of burnt rubber festering as she passed the hostel courtyard. Not too many students were to be seen, partly because of winter break and partly because it was unusually cold. She had not had her breakfast out of nervousness when she reached the gates of Oberoi mansion. Shivaay was pacing on the sidewalk by the gate. The minute she hopped out of the autorickshaw, Shivaay came and hugged her. Then he inspected her from head to toe.

"You look beautiful sweetheart" He said pushing the stray strand of loose hair behind her ear.

Annika caught his hand as he withdrew it. "Shivaay..Will it be alright? Will your parents like me?" Annika stammered.

Shivaay cleared his throat. "They sure will, sweetheart. Just be yourself. By the way Dad could not make it. All inbound flights to Delhi are delayed or cancelled today. Mom and Daadi are here. They came here yesterday from Chandigarh after attending a wedding or something.But Mom insisted that I still bring you in. She is just so excited."

The watchman held the gate open for them and the two walked in. Right before they went indoors, Annika stopped in her tracks.

"Shivaay, what if.. " Annika started and Shivaay placed his finger on her mouth.

"No more ifs sweetheart. This is what it is. Everyone will be happy. Remember how Jhanvi aunty also supported us once she got to know the reality? That will be the case with my parents and Daadi too. My mother is especially happy that there is a girl in my life. She has been waiting for you the whole morning. So put on your best smile and be yourself." Shivaay placed a peck on her forehead before leading her into the hallway.

"Annika! " Daadi exclaimed when she spotted Annika. Shivaay was held back by an important phone call.

Annika touched Daadi's feet as a mark of respect. Daadi embraced her and wished her well. Hearing the commotion, Pinky too stepped out. As usual, she resembled a christmas tree, albeit as red one with all the ornaments and gold on her. All that was lacking was the Star of David on on top.

"Arre! Anneeeka? So good to see you my dear" Pinky too sounded happy to see her.

The two ladies took her in and Annika saw that Jhanvi was already there. Jhanvi too place an affectionate peck on Annika's forehead and sat next to her.

"I have not seen you in a long time Anneeka. Good that you came over. So did you finish your studies yet?"

"One last semester aunty." Annika hesitantly replied.

"Ah! Nice. You girls get a good education these days. That is a good thing. I and Mummy ji were at this wedding the other day. Mummy Ji's cousin's husband's niece's daughter's wedding. The bride is a lawyer. She is so modern and smart, just like you. When I was young, I wanted to finish college, you must know DAV college? It is very famous. But things were different back then. My father thought I was better off getting married. I wanted to continue after marriage but Shivaay was born the very same year. Then life went on. But now I understand how important it is for girls to get a good education. My father gave me several kilos of gold when I got married, but that would not help me if I were to be in Jhanvi didi's position today. But see she too had good education and now she does not need Jethji's support at all. No? " Pinky went on without a break and then paused to adjust her heavy earring before continuing "It is Om's last semester too right?"