Ch 25 Bad or Worse

I don't know who fell asleep first but Tao was still sleeping when I woke up. I managed to wiggle out from in between him and the couch without waking him. I went down the hallway to the bathroom.

When I came out I noticed that one of the doors further down the hall was partially open. I moved down the hallway and knocked softly on it.

"Come in." Cameron said.

I'd never tried to picture what Cameron's room would look like but if I had this would have been even better. He had a small full-sized bed pushed into a corner near the window. The bed was made and next to it sat a very organized book shelf. Across from the bed was a long desk. It had two extra computer chairs aside from the one Cameron was sitting in, three monitors, and two different computer towers. On either side of the desk were two full sized book shelves and Cameron was typing away into a laptop.

"Hey." Cameron said glancing up.

"Hi." I said still glancing around.

"Did Tao pass out?" He asked closing the lap top.

I nodded.

"I'm surprised he lasted this long." Cameron said glancing at his watch. "I swear that guy never sleeps."

"He didn't sleep last night?" I asked.

"Nah, he was... working." Cameron said he shifted and rolled one of the extra chairs toward me. I caught the chair and took a seat.

"What does Tao do?" I asked.

"Mechanics mostly." Cameron answered easily.

"Is that what all of you do?" I asked.

"No..." Cameron said with a light smile.

"So do you guys work for the police?" I asked.

"No but we occasionally work with them." Cameron said.

"The government?" I asked.

"No." Cameron shook his head. I could tell from the way he was watching me, amused and very curious, that there was no way I would guess the answer.

"So who?" I asked.

"It's a long story but basically we are a specialized team sent by a private organization to investigate some disappearances." Cameron said.

"A private Organization? Like the Academy Tao mentioned the other day?" I asked.

Cameron nodded.

"And your team specializes in what, missing girls?" I asked. I shifted around in the chair to take some pressure off of my bruised ribs.

"No." Cameron laughed softly. "We specialize in gathering information on organized and high-end criminal activity. Usually we go after scammers, people committing fraud, occasionally a dirty political figure. White collar crimes. This is the first time we've investigated something this ... violent."

"So did you guys decided to branch out or...?" I asked shifting again.

"A problem came up, a friends family member went missing from Wilton University and we were already established in the area." Cameron said.

I nodded and weighed the information that Cameron was giving me.

"How long have you been working on this mission?" I asked.

"Only a couple weeks before classes started." Cameron said.

"So you knew about all of this before we met?" I asked.