N I N E

The girl closed her book after a while and stared at me. Her eyes were a deep green/browny color and looked almost hollow but at the same time filled with the emotion of.... fright?

'Whats wrong?' Would have been the logical thing to say but instead I said, "can I help you?" Rather rudely at that too.

"Annabeth Chase," she replied, sticking her hand out. "Mackenzie Dorset. Pleasure to meet you."

I gingerly shaked her hand and eyed her with an eyebrow raised.

"How do you know my name?" I ask fearfully.

"Oh, yes! Silly me! Thalia told me about you, I once was a hunter, but now I'm 'retired' as Artemis says and now I go to your school." She smiles at me.

"She told me that you like to stay on task and don't have many friends because they feel dumb compared to you, so she told me to meet you. We should be friends. Can we?" She tells me more.

I throw my head back and laugh. Of course Thalia would tell her that. She was, though, concerned for me.

"Sure" I tell her patting her back. She nervously laughs and shrugs my hand off her.

"Don't touch me" she mumbles. Okay........?

As we arrived at school, we exchange schedules and I see that all of her classes are with me except for art, which is okay because her art is next to mine. I'll be able to walk her to class.

" does the red, symbolize anything?" I ask her.

"Yeah, it symbolizes that I'm a retired hunter, so that demigods and and monsters will know that I have the knowledge."

I nod.

I look over to my right and I see percy in the distance. I bite my lip and I want to look away, but I can't. My eyes start to water at his appearance.

His hair is a whole lot messier than it normally is. His sea green eyes are piercingly bright and there is a noticeable red ring around them from crying. He was wearing a black hoodie and had his hood up. Gray board shorts replaced his jeans today as it was swimming practice. The bell was the only thing that pulled me from my thoughts as it was finally time for home room.

Damn, Percy is in that class. I walk past him with my head held high. I must be leaving marks on my lip trying to stop crying. Mackenzie follows behind me and after quickly sneaking a glance at Percy she told me, " Percy Jackson looks sad. Thalia told me about you two. So sad." Her eyes lit up ever so slightly and she dug through the pocket of her black skinny jeans. "She told me to give this to you."

How could she know about me and Percy? I hadn't told her because she wasn't here.

I opened the note and read what was on it.

I have eyes everywhere Annie, even if you don't know.

T. Grace

Well that explains it.

Me and Mackenzie walk into home room and get adjoining seats and the teacher, Mr Mallark starts telling everyone to get out their homework. I do as I'm told and can feel Percy's eyes burning in my back. I turn to glare at him but stop and see that his eyes are full of sorrow and confusion. I wanna tell him, but I've got to stay away.

-

3 classes passed and every time we pass in the halls, Percy gives me the same look. I just wanna go up to him and yell 'well I wanna stay with you but I can't because of my controlling dad and stepmom!'.

As lunch starts, me and Mackenzie are walking towards the cafeteria when I get a tap on my shoulder.

"Hmm" I turn around with a polite smile on my face but it immediately turns to a frown when I see who it is.

"Can I please talk to you, alone?" Percy asks with a sniffle.

I sigh and say, "Mackenzie, can you please save me a seat?" She nods and smiles, waving before walking into the doors.

"What?" I say as Percy drags me into a janitors closet.

"Why?" Is all he asks.

"My stepmom and dad weren't very happy that I'm dating you. And with the camp and suff. Percy I wanna be with you I really do, but I can't. My parents won't let me." I reply In one breath.

Percy crashes his lips on mine.

"Please, just stay. I can't live another day without you." He whispers as we part.

I smile. "Okay"

"Okay?"

"Okay"