Chapter two• Calling Card

I PICTURE THE CHORUS PLAYING WHILE TRIS IS JUMPING ONTO THE BUILDING IF THERE WAS A MOVIE.

A few more people choose and we have almost twenty initiates this year. As we run down the stairs of the hallway I try not to go as fast as I probably could, while still staying ahead. Once we reach the train tracks I swiftly climb the pole that holds it up and jump onto the train. Once we're on the train I know where we're going to jump off, but I don't know what we're going to do. Eric only taught me how to fight and throw knives and stuff like that because I was never allowed to continue. I jump onto the building with ease as the other initiates do so. I get onto the roof with everyone else, while almost. One girl flipped at the side and fell. Her sister was at the side of the building but I decided to stay back. She punched one person that tried to help her already. Instead I follow the rest of the crowd towards the other edge of the building.  Of course Four is there waiting to give his speech to the initiates. "Now that you have made it this far you have to jump. If you can't muster the will to, it's clear that you don't belong with us. Who's going first." Four says, and as the last word leaves his mouth I find myself running towards the edge and falling. There's a section that Eric would never let me go to which is right around here, where they keep a net. Sometimes I would be able to get a quick glance at the net so I know I'm safe. As I hit the net I see ice blue eyes staring at me. Eric's. As he helps me off the net I hear whispers and murmurs in the crowd and realize that I'm the first stiff to make the first jump. And I barely gave Four a chance to finish talking. I can tell that people around me are getting suspicious, but there's nothing I can do now. I let it go and move on.  After I get off Eric pulls me to the side too tall to me. "What the heck was that?" he asked.

 "What do you mean? We were asked to jump, so I jumped." I replied.

"You can't draw so much attention to yourself."

"I was just doing what my big brother couldn't." I said mockingly, and instantly regretted it, as I turned and walked off to where the other initiates had started to stand. I had to stand beside an ex-Candor, Peter, while he was flirting with me.

Around a half-hour later all the initiates had come down and we are given Dauntless clothes. Eric shows us around the pit, but I tune him out until we get to my favorite place, the chasm. "The chasm reminds us that there is a fine line between bravery and idiotic." Eric says like he's reciting lines of a script. "One daredevil jump off this edge will end your life. It has happened before and it will happen again."

Once he finishes talking about the chasm, he walks towards the training room. "We will meet here every morning at 8:00 for training.  Don't be late." and with that he shoos us off to get changed because I now realize that I still look like a stiff. After we get changed I walk over to the cafeteria, purposely making some wrong turns so it looks like I haven't been training here for twelve years. As I walk I'm talking to another ex-Candor whose name was Molly. She seemed really nice.

At the cafeteria I sat with Molly, Eric and Peter. Peter was flirting with me again but that only earned him some death stairs from Eric.

 "Why did you chose to sit with the initiate instructor?" One of Eric's friends asked me. 

My response was not the best. I looked at Eric to ask if I could tell them that he's my brother but right as I'm about to tell them Molly cuts me off with "Oh, I get it now. You too are secretly dating." I guess she saw the look.

 Eric and I both say "Ewww." simultaneously.

 "Molly, Peter, this is my brother, Eric."  Molly and Peter both look kinda embarrassed. I guess the feeling comes when you think that someone's brother is their boyfriend. I can't help but laugh as the face gets more and more red. After a few seconds they join in on the laughter and we talk while finishing our lunch.

SORRY I HAVEN'T WRITTEN ANYTHING IN A WHILE. IT WAS A BIT OF A SLOW CHAPTER BUT THINGS SHOULD PICK UP WITH INITIATION AND TRAINING.