Chapter 2

"Mom?!" A familiar voice cried out, freezing Lucy in her spot. Dipper couldn't move his gaze from the woman towering over him as he trembled in fear. Lucy looked over her shoulder, lowering the vase.

"Mabel, sweetie? What are you doing home early? I thought you were having dinner with a friend." Lucy asked, tone casual, but still slurring her words.

Mabel stood by the front door, pure shock written on her face as she processed what she was seeing. Their mother sighed.

"Mabel, go up to your room. I'll be done with him in a minute." Lucy said, waving a hand dismissively towards a still trembling Dipper. 

"Mom." Mabel's voice was shaky as she spoke. "No."

Lucy shrugged sloppily, waiting to get back to what she was doing. "Whatever." 

She turned back to Dipper, raising the vase above her head again. Dipper's breath caught in his throat as his hands flew up to cover his head, face ducking down to his knees which were pulled up to his chest.

"No!" Mabel cried out, racing forward and standing in front of Dipper protectively. Dipper looked up at his sister, eyes wide.

"No?" Their mother echoed.

"No." Mabel repeated, looking at their mother in the eye.

"M-m- Mabel." Dipper stuttered out.

Mabel blinked away her tears, she couldn't believe their mother would do this! She had to be strong.

"I can't believe you!" Mabel finally yelled, "Why would you-"

"Mabel. Room." Lucy said through clenched teeth. Mabel made a quick decision. She glared at her so called mother, before shoving her back. Lucy stumbled backwards and fell onto her rear, dazed. The vase crashing to the floor and breaking into pieces next to her.

Mabel didn't spare a second as she whipped around and pulled her brother to his feet. She snatched up his hat and raced upstairs, her fast pace causing Dipper to stumble along with her. 

Mabel ran into their room and slammed the door in time to see their mother racing towards the door, fury written on her face. Mabel quickly locked the door and took a few steps back as their mother slammed against it.

"Fine!" Lucy yelled, "No dinner than! But you can't stay in there forever!" Then she stumbled back downstairs, leaving Mabel alone with her brother. 

'Dipper!' Mabel thought frantically.

She whipped around to see Dipper had discarded his book bag near his bed. Dipper himself had his back pressed against the wall, arms wrapped around his legs as he stared intently at the floor.

"Dipper?" Mabel asked, slowly approaching him.

"Thought you were… with a friend." He mumbled, not looking up at his twin.

"Wasn't home." Mabel answered hurriedly, dropping down in front of her brother. She grabbed his face in both hands and looked him over for injuries. Mabel let out a small breath of relief, knowing that the worst Dipper had was some bruises.

'Thank goodness there's no concussion.' Mabel thought to herself, 'And thank goodness I learned how to tell if someone has broken bones or a concussion from when the medical people visited school.' 

Mabel blinked rapidly to clear the thoughts from her head and to stay focused on the situation at hand.

"Dipper…" Mabel's voice shook, "When… how long has this been going on?"

Dipper was blank for a moment, before he took in a shuddering gasp and tried to stand up, only able to get his legs folded underneath him before Mabel placed her hands on his shoulders, effectively stopping him.