Chapter 11

May 5th, 0720 hours

Wilson had just gotten halfway through breakfast when he saw the explosion, to be more precise, he heard the explosion then saw a giant fireball erupt into the dawn air. The group had stood silent for a minute, staring in awe.

Finally, Erik broke the silence, "Hooooooooooooooly shit." He said, dragging out the holy for an added awed effect.

"Well breakfast is over." Johnson muttered as he stood up. "Pack your neccesities guys, we're going to investigate that explosion."

"What? Why? Isn't it dangerous? That probably just attracted half a population's worth of zombies!" Wilson asked.

"Yea, but an explosion of that scale is definitely deliberate, and i bet there are other groups of surivors headed towards it right now as well. We might be able to find other survivors, more people, we could actually expand our perimeter, set up a safe zone with more people. So no matter how dangerous it is, we have to check it out." Johnson said.

"Damn he thinks ahead..." Wilson muttered to Tina

"That's my gramps!" Tina said, smiling.

"Sorry kid, i intended to let you rest a day before we head out, but seems like we're setting off now." Johnson said, offering Wilson an apology.

"You always take my training to the extreme old man." Wilson commented.

In 5 minutes, they had packed up and were headed towards the source of the explosion.

----- note: by now you guys should have noticed, i alternate the chapters with the people i focus on, and i normally focus on one person a day. but today i'm going to focus on two, because i have more time to write now and for other obvious reasons :) ------

May 5th, 0720 hours.

Hendrik and Janthon had finished securing all their ammo into their ammunition pouches and were in the process of checking their weapons. Maverick was running through their escape plan with them.

"Alright, here's the plan, I'll take point, try to minimize your shooting since we don't want to attract more of these things, but if you have to, fire. We'll run out of this place, make a quick left turn and head out on the street, we could cut through the alleyways and it might probably be faster but if we get sandwiched in there, we're pretty screwed." Maverick said quickly. 

Hendrik finished checking his SAR21 and shoved the gun's magazine in, hearing a satisfying "click", he heard Janthon do the same. They all had 2 pistols with 8 magazines per pistol, 15 magazines for their SAR21s per person, in addition, they each also had flare guns with 3 flares a person, in case they got seperated or needed someone to spot them for a rescue.

They began to move towards the staircase landing, Maverick peered over the edge, seeing no zombies, he lowered himself down and as he landed he quickly drew his weapon level with his face, scanning the area. There were 3 zombies aimlessly shuffling around the 1st story, bumping into walls and turning, they hadn't noticed him.

He gestured to Hendrik and Janthon to join him. After a moment of silence, he heard two soft "thuds" and Hendrik and Janthon appeared beside him. He motioned for a quick run to the exit, pointed to his gun and made a cross with his fingers. The message wasn't exactly military but it was simple, "don't shoot."

They began a silent and quick sprint for the exit, they ran past the zombies, who still seemed oblivious to their presence. They cleared the exit in near record time and as they did, Janthon collided into a zombie who seemingly had just been waiting right outside the exit.

Janthon and the zombie both hit the ground, the zombie's moan turned into a snarl as it pushed itself up and lunged at him. Janthon struggled to stand up, scrambling on his hands while in a sitting position. He failed miserably to stand as his hands slid on the slippery concrete and the zombie was on him in a flash.