Chapter 2: Oblivious

Aziraphale opened the door to his apartment and gestured, "After you Mr...? Oh tickety-boo, I haven't asked your name yet."

Crowley held in a chuckle as he walked in. Tickety-boo? He thought. He glanced back at Aziraphale, "Anthony J. Crowley, You?"

"Oh, I'm, Aziraphale. Aziraphale Whitler." He smiled his sweet smile and Crowley had to look away lest the blush forming on his face was seen.

"Well, Mr. Whitler its a nice place you got here," Crowley said observing the small apartment.

"Oh call me Aziraphale"

"Alright, I appreciate you getting me out of the rain," He glanced back and added "Mind if i call you Zira? Aziraphale is a nice name, it's just a mouthful."

Aziraphale nodded pleasantly surprised, "Oh, of course"

"Great, Zira fits you. It's cute."

That had made Aziraphale's heart flutter. He hadn't ever had anyone call him anything other than Aziraphale before. His family had always opted for his given name, and he hadn't had any real friends to give him a nickname. "Follow me Mr. Crowley, The kitchen is this way"

"Just Crowley's fine, The Mr sounds stiff"

"Okay, then Crowley. Right through here," He led Crowley into the kitchen.

His whole apartment had a more muted tan and beige look to it, he had a few books scattered across a coffee table in front of the couch. The kitchen was where Aziraphale led Crowley however. The place was cluttered but in a loving, lived in way. The walls were a light, baby blue and he had a pile of dishes in the sink along with a few plates on his dining table.

Aziraphale quickly collected them, "Sorry about the mess, I wasn't expecting anyone."

Crowley, who hadn't been paying attention to the mess and had been paying much more attention to Aziraphale's behind, took a second to respond, "Huh? Oh don't worry. I'm no one important."

Aziraphale, who hadn't noticed where Crowley's eyes had wandered, turned around frowning, "Don't say that, Everyones important. Including you, Anthony. Err, Crowley."

Crowley had an amused smirk. "Calling me by the first name? Does that mean im in trouble?" He teased.

Aziraphale crossed his arms. "Why yes, yes it does," He quipped back.

Crowley leaned against the doorframe getting closer to Aziraphale, "Well thats terrible, Zira. What can I do to get back on your good list?"

He bent down to be eye-level with Aziraphale who happened to turn bright red. Crowley's eyes lingered on his lips.

"I-I'll let you know if anything comes to mind, Shall I make us some tea?" Aziraphale took a step back trying to calm his racing heart.

Crowley stood up straight, hiding a twinge of disappointment. "Make mine with three sugars. Please," He added as an afterthought.

Aziraphale nodded, "Of Course." He busied himself with making the tea. Aziraphale had never had his heart race like that when someone looked his way. He muttered to himself, "Get a grip on yourself. He was obviously joking"

Crowley who had been eyeing a sick plant, glanced over at Aziraphale, "You say something over there?"

Aziraphale had just set the kettle on the stove "Of course not, Would you like some biscuits?"

"No, not hungry. Had a big breakfast. Thank you, though"

And the silence began. Aziraphale, being terrible with small talk was racking his brain for any sort of conversation starter; And Crowley, His mind lingering on how Aziraphale's lips looked close up. Neither of them knew how to break the silence but thankfully the whistling of the tea kettle interrupted their silence before it got too uncomfortable.

Aziraphale poured two cups of tea putting three sugars in Crowley's and one in his. He gestured to the table, "Care to sit?"

"No thank you, my legs are stiff from the drive here"

"Oh"

"Zira?"

"Yes, Crowley?"

"You've got a bit of powdered sugar on your cheek," He reached over and gently wiped it off.

Aziraphale smiled, his cheeks warming, "Oh thank you. It must have been from my breakfast earlier. There's this really good restaurant on the southern part of town. If you want I could give you the name of it."

Crowley shook his head, "How about you show me instead. It would be my treat, After all you invited me into your home."

Aziraphale smiled, "That sounds nice. Dining with you, I mean. I know the restaurant's good."