00 | Prologue.

An insistent and high pitched ring caused by the alarm from a phone on the nightstand beside the bed, broke the soft and pleasant chirping coming from right outside the window of that partly dark and messy bedroom.

A tuft of raven hair peeped out from the between of the pillow and sheets of the bed, covering entirely the boy's face. Seconds after the alarm went off, the teen squeezed his eyes covering his face even more and brought his legs towards his chest, pressing the two extremities of the pillow against his ears, getting extremely annoyed by the acute sound still audible that interrupted what was his second hour of sleep.
It only took another couple of seconds to make the boy by the raven hair tired of it, causing him to stretch his arm out from under the sheets and letting it fall blindly on the where the phone was, finally disabling the alarm and bringing the soft and muffled chirping back.

Within a few other seconds of rest, the boy slowly rolled over the edge of the bed, groaning during each of his movements, and helping himself with his forearm, he sleepily got up, barely able to stand due to the dizziness caused by the lack of actual rest, keeping his eyes still shut.

His mind was scarily blank and once again, he felt more and more stranded as days passed by, terrified of not knowing what could happen in those next hours.

In the middle of a loud and deep sigh, a piercing pain located near the stomach left him paralyzed for some second.

"Fuck..." he swore with an unusually hoarse voice engendered by his extremely soar throat, after painfully gulping he tilted his head down he slightly rose his t-shirt revealing a huge purplish bruise on his abdomen.

The short boy didn't look surprised at how bad it got, and just silently stared at it, emotionless, simply wondering if it would heal before baseball practices would start, concluding with a negative answer.

Sighing once again, this time with only a slight sting caused by the bruise, he quickly changed his clothes without making the minimum noise, wearing a pair of black jeans, that somehow became strangely baggy, and his favorite light blue hoodie with a patch of his highschool arms located on the right shoulder.

He then headed to the bathroom grabbing his phone on the way, and unblocking it he squeezed his eyes in defense of the bright screen.

Three messages popped up in the between of other useless notification from socials he didn't really use, and a light smile grew on his lips after reading one of the sender's name.

Vincent (2 unread messages)

Yo Zak, u ready for a new year in
< that shit hole we call school? :) 7:13 am.

I'm taking the bus, move ur ass,
u better not lose it again the
first day of school for the third
< year in a row ;))) 7:14 am

The teen chuckled softly at the usual tease from his best friend, and finally realized how much he missed him.
He didn't meet nor properly talked with Vincent in months because he had to stay in France for all the duration of the vacations, since his mother conditions went downhill during the last months of the previous year of school. They tried their best to stay in touch over the summer, but time zones didn't help at all, leaving them able to only writing each other miserables good morning-s and goodnights. Nothing more, nothing less.