10 | I wish I knew.

"What..?" Darryl asked under his breath, not loud enough to be heard.

"Alright boys, you can go home now." sighed the middle aged woman, tidying up the sheets on the desk.

Zak nodded still with the same emotionless expression he had before and silently stood up, turning towards Darryl without looking directly at him.
The senior was still shocked and confused from what he heard, he got up from his chair, slowly wrapping the short boy in his arms without thinking twice. The Junior didn't move at all, he just layed his head against his chest, sobbing slightly.

"Mind doing this type of stuff outside my office? Thank you." murmured the principal, annoyed.

Darryl turned his head in her direction and nodded sadly, then letting one of his arms slip away from Zak, he softly lead him towards the door.
Mumbling a goodbye while getting out of the room, the Senior, without stopping the slow walking, looked at the little boy.

"I'm so sorry, Zak..." murmured, clenching his teeth. "I... I-"

"It's not your fault, ok? Stop blaming youself on things you couldn't know." hummed quietly, stopping and lifting his head up, finally looking at him.

His eyes were still watery, and his voice made it obvious he was holding himself from crying in front of Darryl again.
The Senior arched his eyebrows and sighed sadly, then cupped Zak's cheeks with his hands, who cleaned up from the blood wiping them on his hoodie and caressed the semi-dry tears from earlier away with his thumbs.

"Still... If only..." whispered, not finding the words.

"Darryl, please. Stop." Zak begged quietly, watching him with an exhausted look and laying both hands over his.

Nodding sadly once again, the taller boy let his hands slip away from his face, while Zak immediately grabbed one during his fall, resuming the walk but in the opposite direction.

"Zak? Where are you bringing me?" asked, walking besides him and slightly tightening the grab.

"At the infirmary, you hurt yourself." replied, giving him a small glance.

Darryl didn't complain, and simply enjoyed holding his hand for all the way to the destination.
Softly pushing Darryl into the room, Zak closed the door and turned towards him.
He stood there, his expression suddenly changed, he started sobbing and shaking, getting immediately wrapped in the taller boys arms once again.

"Zak..." whispered, pulling him closer while caressing his head. "What happened in there..?"

The short boy grabbed Darryl's hoodie, clenching his fists into it, and shocked his head whimpering.
Darryl kept comforting him by caressing his back and head, while humming sweetly, putting Zak feeling above his, as he always did.
He was the most important thing in his life. He'd sell his heart for giving Zak happiness.

"It's okay, little muffin, let it out..." whispered, giving a kiss on the top of his head.

The blonde boy slowly led him towards the cot and layed on it, kindly pulling Zak on him, making him lay on his chest and wrapping his body back in his arms.
They stayed there hugging each other for more than ten minutes, the only sounds audible were Zak's sobs and Darryl humming.
Zak calmed down, still sobbing lightly, pulled himself closer than he already was to Darryl's body.

"How do you feel..?" questioned the blonde boy, passing his hand through his black hair.

"I feel like total trash..." groaned, enjoying every single comfort Darryl gave him.

"What happened, Zak..?" murmured, panicking at the only thought of losing him.

The junior stayed silent for a few moments, taking time to find the force of explaining.